Choosing the Right Skimmer

PNWreefer97

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Location
Spokane
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping someone can help me decide on the best skimmer for my given tank and stocking plans. I’m running a Fiji cube 38 gallon aio peninsula. My main concern is finding a skimmer that is going to be strong enough for a 7 fish bioload in a mixed reef while being able to fit in the middle chamber of my filter section.

I’ve been leaning towards the Tunze DOC 9004 but not sure it will fit unless I turn it sideways and use the magnets on the internal baffles.

Any thoughts/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
 
I use a bubblemagus mini Q on an IM nuvo 20. The comline i have used in the past on a jbj 30rl. Both should fit in your chambers.
 
I use a bubblemagus mini Q on an IM nuvo 20. The comline i have used in the past on a jbj 30rl. Both should fit in your chambers.
You think the MiniQ would be enough for a 38-gallon tank (most likely 33-34 actual water volume)?
 
You think the MiniQ would be enough for a 38-gallon tank (most likely 33-34 actual water volume)?
The bubblemagus pulls amazing skimmate out of my tank. I have a medium/heavy bioload with 6 fish in a 20g and its rating is 20g.
The comlines rating has a range of 20-60 for heavy to light bioload so i would say based on my past experiences, they are rated similarly.
I actually have had a better user experience with the bubble magus and it mounts with a hanger vs magnets.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new