Christmas and Jamaica and COVID! Oh my!

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing we had a Jamaica holiday coming up, beginning this past Dec. 27, I did all my maintenance… equipment checks, ATO check and fill, auto-feeder set up…a few days before Christmas. Put a limited amount of floss in my filter cups and dialled the skimmer back. We were in Jamaica till Jan 4 and, although we’d tested negative there and upon our return, my wife and I made Omicron’s acquaintance by Jan 7. She had a mild bout. I got knocked on my butt and was out of action for 16 days. No water changes. One ATO top up. Irregular feeding. The glass and gravel looked like crap. A yellow tang went missing, as did a Springeri damsel and a Talbot’s damsel.

Despite the 3 missing fish and the general yuck, the tank flourished. Corals took off. The rest of the fish were fine, despite being pretty much relegated to eating pellets for 3+ weeks. The balance of the tank inmates looked great. I’ve just done a 20% water change yesterday (first in 33 days) and don’t dose at all.

Things are looking a lot cleaner, after some heavy maintenance yesterday, and my corals, fish and inverts are seem to be forgiving me, but what happened? How is it things held steady? I haven’t done any testing yet, other than checking salinity and temp. Is this all related to the old adage about things going better when you keep your hands out of the tank?

Does anyone else have stories related to long stretches of relatively unavoidable neglect? This certainly isn’t going to factor into my maintenance routines but I’m curious about how resilient my reef proved to be.

CA59D1AE-A28D-4301-8235-B3DD06849785.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefit of regular maintenance is that the tank inhabitants health score is built up over time and when the storm hits they have a lot farther to sink before things get ugly. If the tank was weak before you left I bet your outcome would be different. Glad you are back to health.

Head Of Household Falling GIF by Big Brother

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back