Christmas miracle - beating Dinos.

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2020
Messages
161
Reaction score
167
Location
Sherman Oaks
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally beat Dinos - hopefully, for good this time. After trying several methods from raising nutrients, chemical treatments, and water changes I invested in a UV sterilizer. I was a bit hesitant investing in equipment and was ready to scrap the project and start fresh - thank goodness I didn’t. I also did a blackout period (3 days) that aligned with adding a new light. The results speak for themselves, but I do have to say I feel like im walking on eggshells - anything I should look out for?

90A3538A-947B-4994-AB57-6606AEBAFEC4.jpeg 915DC908-28B1-4743-BD81-CDA557EF90F6.jpeg 8E9F6CA0-8FE7-474D-984A-2D6375A80404.jpeg
 
Congrats! Keep watching Nitrate and Phosphate, don't let them bottom out. That could potentially lead the the dinos coming back or even a different type of Dino taking over that is not affected by UV.
 
You might want to add some live rock and sand straight from the ocean at this point to help bolster your competition.
 
I finally beat Dinos - hopefully, for good this time. After trying several methods from raising nutrients, chemical treatments, and water changes I invested in a UV sterilizer. I was a bit hesitant investing in equipment and was ready to scrap the project and start fresh - thank goodness I didn’t. I also did a blackout period (3 days) that aligned with adding a new light. The results speak for themselves, but I do have to say I feel like im walking on eggshells - anything I should look out for?

90A3538A-947B-4994-AB57-6606AEBAFEC4.jpeg 915DC908-28B1-4743-BD81-CDA557EF90F6.jpeg 8E9F6CA0-8FE7-474D-984A-2D6375A80404.jpeg
Great job! UV sterilizers are so clutch, and honestly I think it's the only way to truly get rid of Dino's. If you want them gone for good, I'd keep that UV sterilizer on and start dosing some microbacter 7 and vibrant. Here's the method I use:

 
Don’t use Vibrant. You’ll kill everything you’re trying to grow to outcompete the Dino’s
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new