Chunk of flesh missing on hallucination favia

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this "chunk" missing from my favia. Just came out of the blue, not sure if my urchin could have done this or something took a bite put of him if he grabbed some food during feeding.

What should I do for care, besides keeping an eye for recession? Coral is glued down and starting to encrusted the rock.

Thanks,
B

20220131_111905.jpg

20220131_111858.jpg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a few things, physical injury etc. You have feeding tentacles out so I don't think it's your parameters. What kind of urchin do you have? Do you have any blennies or shrimp?

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a few things, physical injury etc. You have feeding tentacles out so I don't think it's your parameters. What kind of urchin do you have? Do you have any blennies or shrimp?

Pin cushion urchin, lawnmower blenny, arrow crab, Emerald (haven't seen him in a month so maybe not anymore).

The urchin was on the other side of the same rock when I snagged these so he's my first suspect...

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an injury rather than a worm. I would maybe give it a dip in coral RX or revive or even iodine. Then let be. If continues, you have a culprit in the tank taking chunks out of it. JMO

How detrimental would this be since it's started entrusting the rock? One of those risk vs reward situations since the damage may do more harm than removal? I have all 3 of those in my fish hospital cabinet, lol. Any one over the others?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the rock out, I would probably do iodine over the others with the live rock attached. It is always my first go to for injuries. JMO

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a rather unusual phenomenon with all my favias as they grow and encrust. They develop 1 or 2 holes in the middle of their flesh that looks like a bite mark, but it isn’t. It then continues to encrust from outermost edge outward and after making decent progress encrusting outward, the holes will then close up over a few days. This is repeated everytime the favias make noticeable progress encrusting. It’s almost as if they create the holes to give the flesh more slack to encrust on the edges and then go!back and fill in the openings.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the rock out, I would probably do iodine over the others with the live rock attached. It is always my first go to for injuries. JMO

Unfortunately, that's not really possible. Its on one of the biggest rocks and paramount to the structure and other corals...haha just my luck.

it could be a taste test, I would guess from one of those crabs. If its a taste test, then I just leave it alone, they heal in 2-3 days

I'll keep a closer eye on those crabs and see if anything changes.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a rather unusual phenomenon with all my favias as they grow and encrust. They develop 1 or 2 holes in the middle of their flesh that looks like a bite mark, but it isn’t. It then continues to encrust from outermost edge outward and after making decent progress encrusting outward, the holes will then close up over a few days. This is repeated everytime the favias make noticeable progress encrusting. It’s almost as if they create the holes to give the flesh more slack to encrust on the edges and then go!back and fill in the openings.

That is interesting! That would definitely be a more favorable cause for the damage. I'm just glad it was front and center so it would catch my eye. Usually these things start from the back where you can't see them!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, the culprit based on your list could possibly be the arrow crab. I've read these guys can be problematic in reef setups. Luckily the coral can make a recovery- but if it's that, you may want to monitor the tank at night for any "midnight fridge raiding".

I have had a bicolor blenny demolish favia (new reefer mistake) but in general Lawnmowers are safe.

I could be mistaken about the arrow crab but they are very effective hunters of inverts like worms and may turn to corals if there isn't much to snack on.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, the culprit based on your list could possibly be the arrow crab. I've read these guys can be problematic in reef setups. Luckily the coral can make a recovery- but if it's that, you may want to monitor the tank at night for any "midnight fridge raiding".

I have had a bicolor blenny demolish favia (new reefer mistake) but in general Lawnmowers are safe.

I could be mistaken about the arrow crab but they are very effective hunters of inverts like worms and may turn to corals if there isn't much to snack on.

So here's a question, is my arrow crab just slow if he's taking coral snacks? I have plenty of worms. Part of the reason I got him to begin with. I've only seen him eating them once though. And I mean, I've got a solid amount of worms. Not my proudest acknowledgement, but it's honest so that counts for something...right?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are he has taken a large chunk out of their population. Arrow crabs are very efficient predators of marine worms. However, your favia is looking a lot better. Beautiful!

veronicad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not sure if it was from a taste test or from growth, but tonight the spot looks really good. I'll get a better picture tomorrow when there's some daylight/white light.

20220202_213345.jpg
Where did you get this? I can't find it and would like to get a frag. TIA!

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get this? I can't find it and would like to get a frag. TIA!
This was from a Joe Knows Reefs sale back in June '21. He had it listed as a Hallucination Favia. He is no longer in business, but you may have luck elsewhere!

This was the picture from the sale (I try to keep all pictures of frags I buy)
JF Hallucination Favia.PNG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back