Cigar Sherlock's 20 Gallon Long nano build..

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I was happy to receive several boxes from the UPS guy today. I immediately got to work getting things ready for the weekend launch. I calibrated the refractometer, ordered a custom cut acrylic piece for the top, soaked my new base rock, water tested the tank (no leaks) and child proofed the tank stand. As usual, I attached some photos of the progress. I also water tested the distilled from Kroger and found 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. I purchased 30 pounds of live sand to add tomorrow. Last steps are the purchase of more water and one piece of established live rock.

New stuff.JPG
Water test.JPG
Base rock.JPG
The base rock was from reefcleaners.com. I was very impressed!

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sux a brand new fixture should not be blowing out lights. I would return it

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

They are sending me a new LED ballast and new set of LED's...i'm sending them the broken ballast back...so far they seem to be cooperative. There was a slight language barrier though, made it difficult to plead my case.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look into making a mesh screen top for your tank out of screen door framing. It will allow for better gas exchange and less evaporation.

[video=youtube;F0CzorCknWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CzorCknWQ&feature=plcp&context=C40dc2f2V DvjVQa1PpcFMKuG29yqrjlvuxph9koKjf4hLbmzAy1Vc%3D[/video]

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dowtish for the link. I'm going to try a custom cut piece of acrylic for the top and see how that works for now. I've got a penguin 1140 to help with oxygen transfer into the water. Will see how it works and if I'm not liking the top, I'll trash it and try a screen. Only cost me 10 bucks to get it and have it cut.

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to stop by the frag swap and join up with MTRC so I'm officially a member. It was very interesting to see how people responded to the uniform. HA! I got everything from "are you here for a raid?" to "just take me in". I wish I wasn't working today as I only got to visit for 10 minutes or so. Anyhow, I have new pics of the acrylic top in place and my rockscaping job. I'm not trying to win any contests with the scaping and I love a classic dragon back bone look.

Live rock 001.jpg
Live rock 002.jpg
Live rock 003.jpg

VandyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob, love that scaping, but I think the acrylic cover will be covered in condensation. I have a small piece above the overflow and it stays wet! Have you tested it yet?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass middle brace on my tank that stays wet and accourding to par meter there's no relative par loss.

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she is up and running. I'm not sure if the condensation will hurt me yet or not Darrell but I'll definitely be monitoring it. I love the clean lines the acrylic top adds to the tank, so i'm inclined to keep it that way unless it just becomes a hassle. I made two more noob blunders today while setting up the tank for the cycle. The first dumb thing was that I forgot to check the stand from front to back to see if it was level AFTER I put it in a new place. I had checked it before moving the tank to another area in my house but just assumed the floors were all the same. So after I got all of my water in place, I noticed the top line was slanted and immediately felt like a jack*ss. So, after church we went to Lowes and I got 3 more buckets to empty out the water and adjust the rear legs of the stand to level it out. Then, I did not check the clearance between the intake tube on the AC70 and the sand bed. Even after I have read online about it probably 100 times, I didn't check. When I put the final gallon of water in, it stirred up a little more sand than I intended and fronze up my AC70 pump. Luckily I was able to clean it all out, cut the intake tube to a more managable height and now everything works well. I'm expecting to make mistakes but today I was ready to slam my head into the wall heh. Nothing like an additional 1 1/2 hours of work because you didn't check things first. Anyways, tank is now going and is as clear as mud heh.
Nano tank start up.jpg

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to stop by the frag swap and join up with MTRC so I'm officially a member. It was very interesting to see how people responded to the uniform. HA! I got everything from "are you here for a raid?" to "just take me in". I wish I wasn't working today as I only got to visit for 10 minutes or so. Anyhow, I have new pics of the acrylic top in place and my rockscaping job. I'm not trying to win any contests with the scaping and I love a classic dragon back bone look.

Live rock 001.jpg Live rock 002.jpg Live rock 003.jpg
Are you here to Raid LOL Now I can put a face to your name, Nice meeting you even though it was brief as I was guilty of that comment!
Bill

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is clearing nicely and I took the little girl down to AC today to purchase some liverock. I only got a one pound baseball size purple chunk to seed the rest of what I have. The heater is in and working very well. The AC70 is on and I'm only running a mechanical sponge right now to assist with getting large particles out of the water. Should I be running chemipure or any carbon at this point or just wait until after the month cycle? I figured it was just wait until the end and don't do any water changes etc..just top off and measure until everything zeros out.

I only put the lights on for 3 hours today and was checking over the tank with my Iphone LED light when I spotted a *amn aptasia on the 1 pound rock I just bought. So I promptly stuck him with some superglue gel to keep him in his hole until he dies. I'd say this is a pretty typical start.

Day 2 of cycle (aptasia found).JPG

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my refugium light and have mounted it via silicon to the AC70. Now all that I have to do is cut out a section of the AC70 top and replace it with clear acrylic of the same size. Still no Nitrates or Phosphates recorded today but it's only day 5.

refug light 2.jpg
FTS.jpg
refug light.jpg

OP
OP
Cigar Sherlock

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thoroughly confused at day 7 with 0 ammonia 0 nitrates and phosphates between 0 and 0.25...still waiting and still no diatom bloom

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven't seen anything about fish or anything you've added to actually start the cycling. So if there's nothing producing waste then no amm or cycle. U need a fish.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back