Cipro and Chemiclean in tank treatment

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to do an in tank treatment of Cipro for my Euphylia. I successfully completed a 6 day cycle of it about a month ago but I have a few torches that appear as if they could benefit from another treatment. Within this time I’ve also developed mild cyano which doesn’t appear to be slowing despite my non chemical treatment methods of eradicating it. With that being said I know that both benefit Euphylia when treating for BJD and they’re often combined in dips such as the KFC dip.

However I intend to treat my tank and would like to do both but I’m unsure if this would be a bad idea to run both at the same time. Should I attempt to first treat with Chemiclean then Cipro following if needed? I don’t technically have signs of BJD but I would like to eliminate the cyano and I think that the Euphylia would benefit from either or. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemicals and antibiotics should be a very last resort.

More details about your tank may be a better route.

Is the tank only a month old?
What lighting?
What parameters?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "appear that they could benefit from another treatment" do you mean they are showing symptoms of BJD? If so, I would not hesitate to treat for BJD with cipro. But if they are just looking a bit dreary, that may be a symptom of some other tank parameter or general unhappiness (light, flow, bothersome neighbors, algae problems...), in which case I'd avoid dosing cipro.

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemicals and antibiotics should be a very last resort.

More details about your tank may be a better route.

Is the tank only a month old?
What lighting?
What parameters?
It’s pretty well established. I did recently move it which definitely triggered a mini cycle and put stress on my tank. After losing two torch colonies I treated the tank with Cipro which helped the vast majority of my euphylia.

I’m running Radions G6 Pros with Reef Brite XHO hybrid kits.

My parameters are
Calcium - 450
Alk - 8.3 - stable along with PH
Magnesium - 1500
Potassium- 420
Nitrates - 5
Phosphate - 0.2

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "appear that they could benefit from another treatment" do you mean they are showing symptoms of BJD? If so, I would not hesitate to treat for BJD with cipro. But if they are just looking a bit dreary, that may be a symptom of some other tank parameter or general unhappiness (light, flow, bothersome neighbors, algae problems...), in which case I'd avoid dosing cipro.
Some aren’t quite as inflated as they appear following a Cipro treatment. I do think that eradicating the Cyano might be a better choice as there isn’t any actual BJD but for the few colonies - less than 15% of my collection which aren’t quite happy after ruling out my parameter, lighting and flow. I figured they could benefit from another Cipro treatment however I’ve noticed my Euphylia appear happier following Chemi Clean as well which I why I was seeking advice on what route to take

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do a in tank treatment of chemi clean and cipro, I’ve done it a few times in the past and it work’s pretty well, i know people that do it before every water change as well for preventative measures and they swear by it, add some Restor as well

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some aren’t quite as inflated as they appear following a Cipro treatment. I do think that eradicating the Cyano might be a better choice as there isn’t any actual BJD but for the few colonies - less than 15% of my collection which aren’t quite happy after ruling out my parameter, lighting and flow. I figured they could benefit from another Cipro treatment however I’ve noticed my Euphylia appear happier following Chemi Clean as well which I why I was seeking advice on what route to take
I would then start woth chemiclean and see if cyano control brightens up your euphyllia. At first signs of BJD I wouldn't hesitate with cipro. Remember, cipro isn't "nourishing" your corals back to health, just killing the bacteria affecting them, in the case of BJD hypothetically Arcobacter. If they aren't colonized by these bacteria, then I wouldn't expect a positive effect on the corals, but there may be an unknown effect on the rest of the microbiome.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty well established. I did recently move it which definitely triggered a mini cycle and put stress on my tank. After losing two torch colonies I treated the tank with Cipro which helped the vast majority of my euphylia.

I’m running Radions G6 Pros with Reef Brite XHO hybrid kits.

My parameters are
Calcium - 450
Alk - 8.3 - stable along with PH
Magnesium - 1500
Potassium- 420
Nitrates - 5
Phosphate - 0.2
Recent move is probably the cause, while time is probably the cure.

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done treatment with both, not at the same time tho... first cipro and then chemiclean.

Mike Palleta wrote an article about slow tissue necrosis and he talked about high doses of cipro for 10 days straight. I believe the dose was 500mg/100L but don't quote me on that. The article is in reef builders.

Nothing bad happened to my tank, if anything corals that were looking fine looked better after the treatment.

If you decide to treat with both medications, make sure to add extra oxygenation. And please let us know how it went.

jerrycastro54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the article:

Im dealing with BJD lost 6x heads of torches so far, ordered Cipro last night and will arrive this next morning. I plan on dosing 500mg/100L as well.

I have done treatment with both, not at the same time tho... first cipro and then chemiclean.

Mike Palleta wrote an article about slow tissue necrosis and he talked about high doses of cipro for 10 days straight. I believe the dose was 500mg/100L but don't quote me on that. The article is in reef builders.

Nothing bad happened to my tank, if anything corals that were looking fine looked better after the treatment.

If you decide to treat with both medications, make sure to add extra oxygenation. And please let us know how it went.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back