Circular glass cutter for overflow and return holes - Anyone done this?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in building a small system in my garage using Aqueon or similar 20 gallon long aquariums. One as a display and the other as the sump. Every thread I see usually involves drilling the tank for the overflow and returns. I’m wondering if anyone has had success using something like this
to cut the holes instead. I realize you’d need one that could cut a pretty small hole, this one is listed as 30mm and above.
Anyway, if you’ve ever tried this or seen it done I’d love to hear about it.
Thanks.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see success using this method. To break the glass, you will have to tap the glass on the oposite side to start the run. Why not just get a diamond hole saw and get it done?
Thanks for responding. I was just wondering if this could be an alternative to drilling. I’m not very handy and on the surface this seemed like it might be an easier option but if anyone has done it this way I can’t find documentation of it. Just looking for opinions and experiences . I don’t know what I don’t know, ya know?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. I was just wondering if this could be an alternative to drilling. I’m not very handy and on the surface this seemed like it might be an easier option but if anyone has done it this way I can’t find documentation of it. Just looking for opinions and experiences . I don’t know what I don’t know, ya know?
No personal experience with a circular glass cutter, but having attempted cutting some glass a while ago with just a regular glass cutter, I would say if you don't have previous experience cutting glass, then it's a good idea to drill it.

Cutting glass looked really easy to me (the pros make it look effortless), but in practice it was very, very difficult to do well (supposedly it's easier if the glass is below 1/4" thick, but I didn't have any thin scrap to try with). You have to consistently apply just the right amount of pressure throughout the entire cut, then tap it with just the right amount of force to knock the cut out portion out without damaging the rest of the glass or causing an uneven break - so it's really an acquired skill.

If you want to do it with a glass cutter, I'd say get plenty of scrap of the same thickness as your glass and practice until you're sure you won't mess up. If you don't want to practice a bunch first, then I'd just drill it.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience with a circular glass cutter, but having attempted cutting some glass a while ago with just a regular glass cutter, I would say if you don't have previous experience cutting glass, then it's a good idea to drill it.

Cutting glass looked really easy to me (the pros make it look effortless), but in practice it was very, very difficult to do well (supposedly it's easier if the glass is below 1/4" thick, but I didn't have any thin scrap to try with). You have to consistently apply just the right amount of pressure throughout the entire cut, then tap it with just the right amount of force to knock the cut out portion out without damaging the rest of the glass or causing an uneven break - so it's really an acquired skill.

If you want to do it with a glass cutter, I'd say get plenty of scrap of the same thickness as your glass and practice until you're sure you won't mess up. If you don't want to practice a bunch first, then I'd just drill it.
Thank you. This is exactly the kind of personal experience I was hoping to hear about.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting glass is very difficult. That cutter you posted isnt 30mm its 30cm while it looks adjustable that is probably still too big for a bulkhead. Drilling the glass is actually not that hard. Watch a couple videos on it to get acquainted on the process.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have drilled over forty tanks of various thickness, cut window glass, and used a circular glass cutter on thin glass for non-aquarium projects. While I normally take the "try it" approach (especially using scrap pieces first), however I think that if you are not comfortable drilling a tank (which seems to be the more appropriate method), then using the services of a glass shop may be a better option. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a glass cutter for the drill. You will want to apply very light pressure. Letting the cutter do the work. Start off slow as well.

You will also want a hose and clay of some sort. Use the clay to form a wall around the area you are cutting and the water will help with some heat and allow for easier/smoother cutting.

Do this in an area kids, pets and other people won't be around as you will be making micro shards. This will be tough to remove all. Also safer if it shatters. Careful with drill and water:winking-face:

Face shield or glasses and mouth/nose guard for what may fly around and in case it slings into your face.

While some of this and people may say over cautious, always better safe than sorry.

It isn't hard and I have drilled glass years ago. Just take your time.

jsmkmavity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circular glass cutters are more for cutting a round piece you are going to use for a window or other use, not for making a hole in something like a tank. It can leave a ragged edge and micro fractures that the pressure from water in the tank couuld then cause to "GROW" into a crack.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting holes in glass isn't harder than drilling holes in wood, though it takes a different technique. Diamond hole saw, plumber's putty to make a moat to hold the cooling liquid (water), some tape, and a decent drill/cordless screwgun. A hole saw guide can be helpful; I own this one, but usually don't use it since it is easy enough without it.

You have to consistently apply just the right amount of pressure throughout the entire cut, then tap it with just the right amount of force to knock the cut out portion out without damaging the rest of the glass or causing an uneven break - so it's really an acquired skill.
The right amount of pressure is zero -- the weight of the drill is adequate. The cut out portion does not need to be tapped; cutting all the way through gets the cleanest edge, especially if the back of the cut area is taped over (duct tape, or strong masking tape) to support the piece before it is fully cut out.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting holes in glass isn't harder than drilling holes in wood, though it takes a different technique. Diamond hole saw, plumber's putty to make a moat to hold the cooling liquid (water), some tape, and a decent drill/cordless screwgun. A hole saw guide can be helpful; I own this one, but usually don't use it since it is easy enough without it.

The right amount of pressure is zero -- the weight of the drill is adequate. The cut out portion does not need to be tapped; cutting all the way through gets the cleanest edge, especially if the back of the cut area is taped over (duct tape, or strong masking tape) to support the piece before it is fully cut out.
I was referring to cutting out by hand (i.e. with a manual glass cutter), not with a drill.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to cutting out by hand (i.e. with a manual glass cutter), not with a drill.
Ah, I see that now. I saw 'regular glass cutter' and thought you were talking about a regular glass hole cutter (i.e. a diamond hole saw). I agree, cutting holes with a hole saw is easier than cutting down sheets of glass. :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in a glass and tempering factory years ago and the diamond drill is the proper tool for the DIY holing project.

Amazing consensus on this thread.
Manchester United Mci GIF by RightNow

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.4%
Back