Circular white copepods?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve googled everything and cannot find anything that looks like these things all over my tank. Unfortunately I cannot get a good picture but I’ll keep trying.

I have these circular white tiny bugs in my tank, the size of copepods, and move like something with legs (vs a flatworm) but are slower moving than copepods. They’re so small I can’t tell if they’re on my corals, I really have to focus on the glass to see them but there are a ton of them. I do see pods mixed in but the pods have a much more jittery/fast movement than these round guys. Any ideas?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve googled everything and cannot find anything that looks like these things all over my tank. Unfortunately I cannot get a good picture but I’ll keep trying.

I have these circular white tiny bugs in my tank, the size of copepods, and move like something with legs (vs a flatworm) but are slower moving than copepods. They’re so small I can’t tell if they’re on my corals, I really have to focus on the glass to see them but there are a ton of them. I do see pods mixed in but the pods have a much more jittery/fast movement than these round guys. Any ideas?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking up ostracods to see if they match. They are small, round, and white and move with a slow, jerky motion with thin "legs" and sound like what you are seeing in your tank.

You might try using a loupe for magnification to get a better picture. Here is a link to my thread asking for ID for what is likely ostracods, as photographed through a magnifying loupe.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking up ostracods to see if they match. They are small, round, and white and move with a slow, jerky motion with thin "legs" and sound like what you are seeing in your tank.

You might try using a loupe for magnification to get a better picture. Here is a link to my thread asking for ID for what is likely ostracods, as photographed through a magnifying loupe.

Thank you!! This looks exactly like them. Learning something new every day! Doing some research on them now but it sounds like they are harmless so that’s a relief.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could even be spirobid worms.
Alot of guesses here without any pics. Can you post a pic or 2 under white lighting?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back