Copepod ID Request

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After searching for copepods that resemble the ones in my tank, I am not coming up with any results or similar matches.

Does anyone recognize the order/family/genus/species of copepods in the following pictures (encircled in orange)? I am pretty sure they are some type of copepod, but not sure which order (or family, genus, species). They are about the size of a pin head, much larger than the other copepods I have that are likely from the order Calanoida (encircled in white). They seem to move predominantly like an arrow head in the direction of the pointier tip. There are tiny, short appendages like small filaments coming out of both the pointy tip and the opposite bumped end that stick straight out like hairs and appear to be used for locomotion. They seem to collect on the glass in large numbers wherever any growth is allowed, especially thin films of what I suspect to be cyanobacteria (though only growing on un-wiped glass after a few days and nowhere else evident in the tank). The best way I have yet found for these images is to take the photo through a magnifying loupe. They are easily visible without magnification, but are still quite small.

I do not have any good means yet of getting these under a microscope for better viewing, which I understand may be necessary for better identification. My plans are to get a microscope and slides sometime soon to be able to identify the microfauna and microflora of my tank.

...also, are these likely a good food sources for Mandarin dragonets? I might consider one now that I have discovered the vast population of these critters in the tank. Hopefully I can start to culture these in my setup in-progress if they are a useful food source. I have noticed my purple tang occasionally slurp one off the glass (I do not know how he can even find such small creatures!).

75G_Pods_04_E.jpg
75G_Pods_01.jpg
75G_Pods_02.jpg
75G_Pods_03.jpg

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is orange circle: ostracod
White circles: Calanoida
I am still not sure, but they might be ostracods. They definitely have a bit darker color in a band from tip to tip, which could be the body between the shell halves. Some shapes of ostracods do resemble the distinct shield shape that mine have. Thanks for the suggestion!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like amphipods and ostracods

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back