Citric Acid Bath! Whole Aquarium!

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Just cleaned everything out of my tank except for freshwater and my equipment. Plan to do a citric bath to clean everything up and rinse, and restart.

1. How much citric acid should I add? 42g display total maybe like 48g with sump

2. Is it okay to add citric acid directly to aquarium? Will it have any negative effects on my tank, like the silicone etc?

Any advice or direction to a thread would be helpful. Tried searching but didn’t really find anything.

Thanks!!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. In principle citric acid should dissolve calcium buildup, yet then dry to a powder. So I’d be concerned towards those residuals. Sure it could be washed out.
That would be the advantage of vinegar(acetic acid) or bleach. It evaporates in ventilated spaces.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. In principle citric acid should dissolve calcium buildup, yet then dry to a powder. So I’d be concerned towards those residuals. Sure it could be washed out.
That would be the advantage of vinegar(acetic acid) or bleach. It evaporates in ventilated spaces.

the aquarium has bryopsis and I was told a citric acid bath will pretty much kill anything in the tank so I can have a nice fresh restart with new rock and everything.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use bleach then. The ultimate re-start button.

Hm... I actually already have the citric acid circulating in there. Do you think I can kill everything with the citric acid or should i pour some bleach in there too?

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefdudes on YouTube just did a video on this exact topic like a week or so ago. Check it out!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back