Citric Acid dosing as a carbon source?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find my copy of Chemical Oceanography (Millero) to find the most up to date values, but this reference cites two works showing the second pKa of phosphoric acid in seawater is 6.0 or 6.1:

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the case, but in seawater the pKa shifts up. It is much easier to stabilize ions in seawater than in low ionic strength solutions. So all acid/base equilibria generally shift toward the higher charge form. I'll post the published pKa a bit later when I find it.
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense now. The pKa of H2PO4- is nearly same as bicarbonate in seawater, so now I see why phosphate can contribute to alkalinity. For those following the post, Randy has shown that production of polyphosphate will not increase alkalinity as I had suggested/misinterpreted from the posted paper.

It does appear that citric is a viable carbon source and may have the potential to help consume phosphate if there are polyphosphate-accumulating bacteria available, but it will not increase alkalinity.

Also thanks to arking_mark for the initial post that stimulated this constructive discussion.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way that phosphate removal will contribute to an alk decline is precipitation of calcium phosphate, since the removal is PO4---, but the forms left in solution are in various protonated states,

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this makes me want to dust off my high-school chemistry books and really get into the subject.
I’m hoping they are chemists in their day job. Took me back to first year med school. I also have no use for this really in practice so it pained me to try to turn some gears

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back