Citric acid

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use citric acid to clean equipment but my question is can it also be used to sterilize equipment? I use bleach for my QT tanks but wanted to put the heaters and little stuff from the QT tanks in the citric acid and was wondering if that would sterilize them or if I should just soak them in bleach when I do the tanks?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use citric acid to clean equipment but my question is can it also be used to sterilize equipment? I use bleach for my QT tanks but wanted to put the heaters and little stuff from the QT tanks in the citric acid and was wondering if that would sterilize them or if I should just soak them in bleach when I do the tanks?
I use 34% h202 in place of bleach.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont. I use it to clean my socks in the washer instead of bleach.
I use maybe a 1/4 cup.
The 34% is a strong oxidizer so dont get any on your skin. It will turn it white so wear gloves.
I get it at the hydro store.
A cap full in a bucket will work for heater and such.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use citric acid when things aren't critical -- i use bleach if i need to make sure something is dead.

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do your ratios?
Just saying: first unscrew cap, dump some contents, all at once or whenever I feel like sprinkling some in, then toss empty plastic container in trash. Canning calicum chloride. For epsom salts, a handful, toss and enjoy sound. Small bag, then when empty place package in garbage. Add bottle of seachem clarity and watch the red cloud and be amused. Canning citric acid, open and sprinkle as desired or dump contents and allow rocks to sit circulated however long I want. Then, toothbrush and peroxide them off and rinse in weak brack water and actually begin the nitrifying cycle by draining the tank and refilling it with whichever marine salt I decide to make up.. or let the rocks just sit in a cloud of precipitation and not start the nitrifying process... Peroxide soak? That's a powder I cannot just be slacking lazy ate up with the dumbarsed about, so the ratio is appreciated.

Back