Clam “predators”

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a clam a few years ago for my 150 gallon system. It didn’t live very long, parameters and lighting were good but the LFS didn’t tell me (and I’m to blame for not doing my own due diligence) that they need an endless supply of calcium and bicarbonate. It had good lighting and parameters were good so idk why it died. I didn’t have to dispose of it because my CUC took care of that before I could! And that brings me to the subject of my post: are there any fish or inverts who will munch on a clam just for the heck of it? I have a couple of turbo snails, a few nerites and a bunch of Florida ceriths. I have 2 peppermint shrimp and a large purple reef lobster. Fish currently only 4, 2 ocellaris clowns, naso tang and Diamond goby. We currently have a total system volume of ~ 115 gallons

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, a naso in a 115??? Please rehome it asap…. Second the peps may or may not make a nice meal of clams.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermints have never bothered my clam personally but then again they have plenty of aiptasia to eat atm

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tang Police aside if b cautious w the inverts. and yes they need all the requirements of reef system for alk calcium and Mg. They are calcium Hogs hence the shell.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, a naso in a 115??? Please rehome it asap…. Second the peps may or may not make a nice meal of
Not to be a jerk but I didn’t ask you to be the tang police. Calm down for gods sake, it’s like 3” and my friend with a 650 gallon tank will take it from me when it grows too big for my system. Geez

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Being new to clams, you would have no idea of what to look for in a healthy clam, so it's hard to say what the issue was that caused it's demise? If you want to keep clams in the future, then I would buy James Fatherree's new book on clams. It's full of great info and will help in the future with choosing a new clam.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to clams, you would have no idea of what to look for in a healthy clam, so it's hard to say what the issue was that caused it's demise? If you want to keep clams in the future, then I would buy James Fatherree's new book on clams. It's full of great info and will help in the future with choosing a new clam.
Thank you for the reference

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt the lobster
That’s what I needed to know! I think Lobsters have a limited lifespan. We got it as a baby in Jan 2020 so it’s already around 3 years old. I’ll just wait to get the clam. We just upgraded to this larger tank anyway and it needs to get more established before I add clams. I just love them and really want to get some. In the meantime I’ll read the book that was suggested

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I needed to know! I think Lobsters have a limited lifespan. We got it as a baby in Jan 2020 so it’s already around 3 years old. I’ll just wait to get the clam. We just upgraded to this larger tank anyway and it needs to get more established before I add clams. I just love them and really want to get some. In the meantime I’ll read the book that was suggested
Lobsters in the wild can live over 150 years lol. It depends on the species, but don't hold your breath for it to die naturally

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobsters in the wild can live over 150 years lol. It depends on the species, but don't hold your breath for it to die naturally
Really? I read that this particular species has an average life span of 4 years in captivity. He may get remanded back to the sump if I can ever catch him

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I read that this particular species has an average life span of 4 years in captivity. He may get remanded back to the sump if I can ever catch him
Yeah, but that's probably for those deep water large lobsters. Yours may not live near that long, I don't really know for sure.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a jerk but I didn’t ask you to be the tang police. Calm down for gods sake, it’s like 3” and my friend with a 650 gallon tank will take it from me when it grows too big for my system. Geez
My tank definitely seems way too small for my tang
DE3CA8AF-EAD0-41B4-8424-7A336A9EC5C5.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back