Clam ate my red dragon

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luck. My new red dragon frag fell out of my hand, directly into the clam. Clam smashed it up and won’t let go. A clams strength is like trying to open a baby’s closed hand. Impossible lol. A first for everything. Hopefully it’ll spit it out
37272C47-7919-46CB-A771-0AE5DD365EDE.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
String, tension on the string and hope it opens up.
Now I think more about it, a small weight on the string tied to the frag. String long enough so it's hanging out of the tank just a few inches above the floor with the weight on it.
This way, you don't have to stand there and watch it. When the clam opens, frag pops out, weight hits the floor and the frag is only a few inches above the clam still in the water. The weight literally only needs to be a couple ounces.

I feel like I'm having a MacGyver moment, LOL.

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when I thought I've seen it all LOL!! Dburr1014's idea is really good. I like it. let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got it out last night. Thankfully the clam opened up after a few hours just enough to carefully remove the frag. The hardest part was getting the frag plug out because it weight down the flesh of the clam, so it couldn’t just spit it out, but @Dburr1014 idea is great!

The clam is doing fine, but the frag got decently smashed up. We’ll see how it does. New red dragon frags do not need any extra help dying lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luck. My new red dragon frag fell out of my hand, directly into the clam. Clam smashed it up and won’t let go. A clams strength is like trying to open a baby’s closed hand. Impossible lol. A first for everything. Hopefully it’ll spit it out
37272C47-7919-46CB-A771-0AE5DD365EDE.jpeg
I had this situation with my Deresa clam and a similar growth coral (I believe the coral I have is Acropora tortuosa instead of Acropora carduus though), I just let time do it’s thing and came back to the tank 6-7 hours later to see the coral was sat perfectly on the sand bed :)

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this situation with my Deresa clam and a similar growth coral (I believe the coral I have is Acropora tortuosa instead of Acropora carduus though), I just let time do it’s thing and came back to the tank 6-7 hours later to see the coral was sat perfectly on the sand bed :)
I was really worried to because the frag was sitting right over the clam’s mouth at first and was scared it would fall inside. Then I just sat there thinking really??? Haha I’m happy yours safely made it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really worried to because the frag was sitting right over the clam’s mouth at first and was scared it would fall inside. Then I just sat there thinking really??? Haha I’m happy yours safely made it
It’s surprising how strong clams actually are, I got caught by my deresa closing and it managed to tear skin. This clam is currently only about 3.5” long haha.

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s surprising how strong clams actually are, I got caught by my deresa closing and it managed to tear skin. This clam is currently only about 3.5” long haha.
I really had no idea. Incredibly strong. This derasa is only about 6 inches. I wouldn’t want my finger closed on or pinched. Couldn’t imagine if it was bigger or a huge gigas. New worry unlocked

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really had no idea. Incredibly strong. This derasa is only about 6 inches. I wouldn’t want my finger closed on or pinched. Couldn’t imagine if it was bigger or a huge gigas. New worry unlocked
I wouldn’t dare put my hands near a gigas haha, and once this guy grows more, I’ll make sure if I put my hand near him he’ll be closed already :)

Back