Clam display refugium

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2020
Messages
1,228
Reaction score
5,979
Location
Wausau, WI
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I plan my system I realize clams in my DT aren't going to work with the "fringe" reef safe fish I want to keep in there. So I have been kicking around the idea of having a display refugium that features nothing but sand, LR, clams, and a few maintenance fish/inverts.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It would essentially be a clam tank plumbed into my main system as a 'fuge. Thoughts? Dumb idea, has potential?
 
No issue, you’ll just have to run the water chemistry like that of a reef. Also use strong lights for where the clam/macro tank

The DT is going to be a mixed reef (as long as the fish don't wipe it out ;) ) so no worries there!
 
Will you do a build thread? I think your idea should be beautiful.

When the time comes yes. Need to get moved and develop a plan and finalize a bunch of details about the system before I start.

Good news is as off 11:30 last night the seller accepted my offer so I know where I'll live and mostly where the tank will be. I will have to rework the basement to accommodate what I am thinking. The only probably is going to be the stairs to the basement. They take a turn at the bottom and it's going to limit material size I can get down there.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new