Clam getting clogged?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Strad12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Strad12

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2016
Messages
176
Reaction score
82
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm looking to add a Tridacna clam to my reef, and I'm wondering if my habit of stirring up detritus will be harmful to a filter-feeder. I like to stir up the sand bed and dust off the rocks every day, and I'm worried that the larger particulates might clog the siphon intake on a clam. My sand is pretty coarse and doesn't get kicked up into the water column when I do my cleaning.
 
So fun fact about clams is that they can at times enjoy "dirty water" the filter feeding is the tell tale sign of this as well! They at times are known to even filter out nitrates from the water.

I currently have two maximas in my lagoon, really enjoy them. I would not worry about the intake getting clogged in the slightest. You'd be surprised how strong their intakes and outtakes really are!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new