Clam ID and Assistance

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I picked up my first clam on this past Saturday from a local person who was getting rid of their tank. I was told it was a Squamosa but wanted to see if I could get some verification in that. It’s about 4 inches long at the moment.
3BB3E008-7E42-42A7-A0F7-55C417DDD37C.jpeg

This picture was taken Saturday night and the clam had opened up even more Sunday. Sunday night I was in front of the tank and noticed one of my emeralds come up and punch the bottom muscle part of the clam. The clam closed up and the emerald was left dangling there. I used some tweezers to poke the crab to get him to release. I didn’t pull on the crab so I wouldn’t tear up the clam anymore.

The bottom muscle part of the clam has receded into the shell, and the clam is staying slightly closed, maybe open an inch. It’s definitely still alive because it reacts when I wave my hand across my lighting. I wanted to see if there is anything else I can do to help my clam out. I figured this was one of those things where I just let ride and see what happens. Current picture of the clam is below. I had to do a top down picture because it has rotated itself.

7469C403-7A9A-4316-9AEF-26D20528E4CF.jpeg

OP
OP
cmcimino

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a derasa clam and a nice one at that.

+1 on derasa (and yes, quite a nice one!) :)

That's good to hear! I have been wanting a clam for a while now. Tank has been running for a little over a year, and the opportunity came to me from a friend so I snagged it. Got this one for $40, so I feel like that was a pretty good deal. What does one like this normally go for?

tenten900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear! I have been wanting a clam for a while now. Tank has been running for a little over a year, and the opportunity came to me from a friend so I snagged it. Got this one for $40, so I feel like that was a pretty good deal. What does one like this normally go for?
I say you got it for a good price at that size. They usually go for 50-60 around 2-3 inches where I'm at.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, looks to be healthy and growing. Derasa are one of the more if not most hardy clams so it should do well.

Back