Clam in trouble!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
4,703
Reaction score
1,040
Location
North Kingstown, RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam has been doing great, he gained an inch of shell in 3 months. Today he was on his side, and when I picked him up, I noticed that his shell halfs were separated at the bottom, what should I do?
 
Im not a clam expert, but sounds like he is passed? Im honestly not sure though.

There are a few clam lovers on here, post a picture...
 
No expert myself, but have ran into the same situation. I think there some name for it like chronic foot disease, so this is what I was thinking. Our clam is Perdy large 12-14" approx. It was in a good turbulence area where there would be no sand or very little. So my thoughts were maybe how large this clam was on a hard surface area, it may have given up on its muscles. I ended up putting him on another side of the tank with a thick sanded for more support. So far he is progressing very well and not as flimsy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 
He is in sand, here he is, I cant keep him from falling, maybe 2 rocks will do it?
47ea9a4b-a37d-0811.jpg
 
I moved this thread to the clam forum, you'll get more responses there.

I would place it on the sand and put 2 smallish rocks on each side of it to hold it upright.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new