clam on bare bottom tank

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving my tank and thinking about taking my sand out I have a 8 inch maxima clam. question any one keep one on the bare bottom or rocks. Or have some kind of basket u keep them in?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving my tank and thinking about taking my sand out I have a 8 inch maxima clam. question any one keep one on the bare bottom or rocks. Or have some kind of basket u keep them in?
You can just place a piece of flat slate rock or ceramic tile under your clam, or find a thin ceramic tray and put some small rock, thin layer of sand to make it look more nature then place your clam there.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 8" it might be heavy enough to where it doesn't throw down byssal threads so just keeping him on the tank bottom would be ok. Also what yuki recommended would be fine too. If you notice the byssal threads it would make moving the clam easier if it was attached to something you could move.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To further what Yuki recommend. I like using a thin piece of plastic instead. That way you can always trim it easily around the threads if it attached so it's easier to get the bare bottom look or to make it look like it's attached to rock croppings in a specific orientation

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back