Clam placement...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxima are rock dwellers. Even if you intend to keep it on the sand, get something under it for it to attach to. You can make a cup/bowl out of putty, or just buy one already made.

Unless you have 400w Metal Halides, then I would get it up as high as possible once it attaches to the rock/base/cup/bowl. Nearly all maximas die from light starvation in captivity. They need more light than most people are capable of giving them. They can look good for months and months while slowly dying the whole time and then they can waste away in just 24-48 hours. New shell growth is the only way to be sure that they are thriving - just being out and open is fine sign that the clam is alive, but not a sign that it is thriving.

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_3068.JPG

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that Maximas always need to sit on a rock. I don't quite have the space to place a large maxima on the rocks, and mine does just fine. They will grow shell material to close up their byssal opening if left in open water or sand.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that Maximas always need to sit on a rock. I don't quite have the space to place a large maxima on the rocks, and mine does just fine. They will grow shell material to close up their byssal opening if left in open water or sand.
They are still rock dwellers though. As they get bigger and you have enough light then the sand might suffice but as young small maximas IMO it's better to let them attach to a flat rock.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatherree said once that he NEVER saw a Maxima or Crocea in the sand in the wild - they are ALWAYS in the rocks. I cannot find the link, sorry, but I am positive that he said it.

Even if you leave them in the sand, they will spend a lot of energy trying to attach even if they have to burrow down and attach to the bottom glass. I would get something under them.

Being in the sand attached to a buried rock is different than they just being in the sand.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back