Clam separating from shell

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2017
Messages
1,133
Reaction score
636
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a clam from liveaquaria on Tuesday, and yesterday/today I noticed that it's starting to separate from the Shell. All of my tests are normal, ALK is a little low at 7.2, but I'm bringing it up slowly via dosing

It has not opened up more than in these pictures, but the fleshy part of the clam has been to the outside edge of the Shell until yesterday. I turned my lights down (sbreeflight on 32g biocube) to try to make the acclimation easier and have been increasing it every day
0443de064a2b2eae63496a8cb8702a2f.jpg
a5eadffcdd9e6038ab2c54253208c58f.jpg
45b899f8824669c9152ac17fd1458129.jpg
3a079664b485dee0022c65c8f1575a69.jpg
36eabd063f1bd05924a4483c252a8dc7.jpg
 
That's pretty low alk, how old is the Tank? Most of the deresa clams are from ORA or biota, so many factors I wouldn't put the blame on liveaquaria stock. It looks on the small side. How did you acclimate the clam? I'd contact customer service.
 
@Reef of Fillory
I just noticed you have a Beauty Coral Angel fish in your tank, did you see it pick on your clam?
I would remove that Angel before adding new clam just to be on safe side.
Coral beauty hasn't gone anywhere near the clam or any of my corals that I've seen, but it's possible. The clam was definitely dead, pulled it out and it didn't move and was pretty much hollow. The flesh didn't look like there were any chunks taken out of it
 
Lol, thanks yuki and b3ja. Those nasty parasites did our 12" squamosa in. They came in on astrea snails. They can and will wreak havoc. To the OP, check any and all remaining snails in your tank, they feed on them as well as your clam.
 
Grow some coral in his shell. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new