Clam Varieties in The Hobby

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryu_17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I've got a huge batch of squamosina going up on the site later this week, let me know if you need some photos
Sorry to OP if I'm hijacking too much but been curious about where squamosina culturing is going on - on the Biota site I've seen them labelled as from Biota Palau, but I always associated squamosina as a Red Sea clam. Obviously I'm mixed up somewhere - is squamosina range larger than I thought, or something else?
 
I've got a huge batch of squamosina going up on the site later this week, let me know if you need some photos
PXL_20250127_011811039.jpg


Not there yet!!

But I've got my Biota GCs at the ready for when I am!

I'm expecting to be ready for a mandarin or pair in a month or two as well (this is a tank transfer, not a fresh start).
 
Sorry to OP if I'm hijacking too much but been curious about where squamosina culturing is going on - on the Biota site I've seen them labelled as from Biota Palau, but I always associated squamosina as a Red Sea clam. Obviously I'm mixed up somewhere - is squamosina range larger than I thought, or something else?
Natural habitat is west indo-pacific with some coming from the Red Sea.
 
Sorry to OP if I'm hijacking too much but been curious about where squamosina culturing is going on - on the Biota site I've seen them labelled as from Biota Palau, but I always associated squamosina as a Red Sea clam. Obviously I'm mixed up somewhere - is squamosina range larger than I thought, or something else?
That's an error on the site, they're actually bred at a farm in Egypt we support, also our red sea maxima clams are from that same farm.
 
That's an error on the site, they're actually bred at a farm in Egypt we support, also our red sea maxima clams are from that same farm.
Jake wrote an article in reef builders in 2019 about them being farmed in the Red Sea. I’m not sure they’re farmed anywhere else, but do know they exist in the western pacific to the Red Sea.
 
T. noae
There is not much CB Noae available.
You may want to try to do some cross breed clams. Some seem to have very nice pattern. The success of cross breed is poor however.
IMG_6062.jpeg
IMG_6058.jpeg
 
Last edited:
T. noae
There is not much CB Noae available.
You may want to try to do some cross breed clams. Some seem to have very nice pattern. The success of cross breed is poor however.
IMG_6062.jpeg
IMG_6058.jpeg
True, I would also love to make more Noae but I have had no luck so far with the SR of the juvenile. For Hybrid clams, it is also a gamble I've had success with some but yielded very few and others don't work out.
 
I had my trip to the east of Indonesia to look for some giant clams, I was wondering if the hobby looks for clams other than squamosa, maxima, crocea, noae, and derasa. I've had the opportunity to collect clam broodstocks so I was wondering if people are interested in other species of giant clam. Here are a few pictures of the trip on looking for clams.
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.14_c49aafae.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.13_c17b04bc.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.14_8f978d0f.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.13_b116c7eb.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.14_c49aafae.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.13_c17b04bc.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.14_8f978d0f.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2025-01-17 at 14.32.13_b116c7eb.jpg
Were these giants collected off the sand in lagoons or?

I have always wanted to see a larger specimen in the wild but have only seen young ones in the shallow lagoons where I snorkel. I did see one 8-12" maxima when diving, it was suspended on a branching coral head.
 
T. noae
There is not much CB Noae available.
You may want to try to do some cross breed clams. Some seem to have very nice pattern. The success of cross breed is poor however.
IMG_6062.jpeg
IMG_6058.jpeg
Gorgeous Clams!

It has been many years since our last batch of noae. I hope one day we get back to culturing this species as well as that "mimosa" hybrid we had roughly around the same time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new