Clam

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a clam in my tank. I’m not sure how big it will get, or if my 20gallon is fine. Can I get a clam? How big will it get?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallons is a good nursery tank for 1 clam if the system has stable calcium and Kh parameters, high lighting and plenty on nutrients or planktonic input.

Generally clams will outgrow a 20 gallon if they survive in them

OP
OP
TheOneWhoIsThere

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clam do you want?

What sort of lighting, filtration, and automation systems do you have?
Probably a Squamosa, For lights I have a AI prime. I don’t have any automation (unless light sunset and sunrise counts). My filter is just the one on the back of the Cubey 20gal. I have a 425gph powerhead.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a Squamosa, For lights I have a AI prime. I don’t have any automation (unless light sunset and sunrise counts). My filter is just the one on the back of the Cubey 20gal. I have a 425gph powerhead.
Do you have an ATO?

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send pics of your system. Clams like the derasa and squamosa are hearty, but in an improper system, they will not survive. If given the right conditions, a clam can out grow a 20gal fairly quickly. The key to a clam is stability, they need stable parameters (ca, alk, mg) as well as salinity (which can fluctuate in a small system). Further, they filter feed, and without nutrients, they do not do well. In a smaller tank, you instinct may be to get a small clam, however, any clam under 3 inches really needs an abundance of nutrients of which to feed on. Without this, the clam will likely not survive. In a small system, this could prove problematic. You may find yourself feeding the clam phyto or any type of small particulate food, but then you may have elevated nitrates due to feeding.

However, if you have adequate filtration, you would likely be ok. I would personally get one in a larger system, but anything is possible. Just know what youre getting yourself into before you purchase a clam. There are a lot of success and horror stories with clams.

EDIT: - here is vid that gives you a look at what type of system contains healthy clams. They do not like blasting flow, but enough where they can filter feed. Maximas like rocks and higher light, while derasas and squamosas like sand bottoms. (also not my vid, cred goes to the poster)

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all the responses I don’t think my tank is ready for a clam. It is still fairly new. Also not all the equipment.

Nothing wrong with changing your mind either. Making educated decisions are very important in this hobby. There is a vast wealth of info on this forum, so when you are ready, you will know everything you need.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I nwoulkd wait until you have a large system, and your tank has been running for more then a year, and once your have the proper equipment. It would be really helpful if you posted a picture of your tank and system.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all the responses I don’t think my tank is ready for a clam. It is still fairly new. Also not all the equipment.
Good decision IMO, a mature tank is better. Also, squamosa get large fairly quick so a 20 gallon won't suffice for long.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back