Clams and bristle worms

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I trying putting a clam in my reef tank, I would always see bristle worms going after the clams... so I gave up, and have been always afraid of getting another clam, plus it's a pricey way of feeding the bristle worms... :)

Anyone have success with clams and having bristle worms in there tanks? If so, any tricks of keeping the bristle worms away from the clam.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms won't eat a healthy clam but they will take the opportunity to get an easy meal with a dying clam. It could be that they are fire worms which will eat a tridacna. We've kept many clams with bristle worms making a home underneath them without any issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate bristle worms with a passion but I have to agree with @DSC reef 's statement.
I'm there with you, I hate bristle worms with a passion also. The two things about the hobby I hate most are ich and bristle worms... there's just no way of ridding them... :(

Joe11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazon has a number of traps if you want to get rid of them... I do not like them at all and they become pests and a problem with corals.. I actually took some pics of them feasting on my mummy eye coral late at night. I thought it was something with my coral but long behold its the bristle worms.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, you should start a thread in the meet and greet section so we can all welcome you. Also, I've never seen a bristle worm eat a coral or a clam, maybe what your seeing is the bristle worm eating left over food, dying tissue or even a fire worm.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.4%
Back