Clams and Nutrients

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering a clam for a while now (probably a Deresa), but I'm waiting until I find a "pretty" one (My wife likes to help pick these type of things out). However, I've been doing some reading on clams and what is needed to keep them healthy. I've noticed that several articles say that clams will lower nutrient levels in some tanks because that's what they mainly feed off of once they are bigger than a few inches.

Is this true - do clams really lower No3/Po4 in reef tanks?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard that directly. But most photosynthetic animals will lower nutrient levels as the photosynthisize. Ie. having a lot of corals will lower nutints in a tank.

I don't have the links handy. But if you Google James Fatheree and clams you'll get a LOT of really good info.

And if you visit Aqua SD they have about five amazing derasas in stock. Super super healthy. About four inches. I saw them in person.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though most don't agree that it's necessary, we feed phyto and pods to our clam dominant tank. These beautiful creatures filter the water in the ocean thus getting an additional supply of food through their filter feeding as well as the sunlight. Just an opinion. Clams do reduce nitrates. Again, google James Fatherree - it's a great read.
bsa

mystersyster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our closed systems it's not going to be a lot. Clams get their 99.9% of their food from photosynthesis, and that alone. I have 2 large derasa and a smaller squamosa in my 66 gallon and they do nothing noticeable to the nutrient levels.

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up question: I know derasa clams are supposed to be the "easiest" to keep, but what makes them the easiest and are maxima or squimosa clams THAT much more difficult to keep?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up question: I know derasa clams are supposed to be the "easiest" to keep, but what makes them the easiest and are maxima or squimosa clams THAT much more difficult to keep?
Good question.
@Tahoe61 ?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question.
@Tahoe61 ?

It is my experience that Derasa are more forgiving when it comes to higher nutrients to the system, and less then ideal water chemistry (to a point).
Maxima and Crocea to best under the most intense lighting once acclimated to that lighting, and Derasa, Squamosa, and Hippos will thrive lower in the tank.

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my experience that Derasa are more forgiving when it comes to higher nutrients to the system, and less then ideal water chemistry (to a point).
Maxima and Crocea to best under the most intense lighting once acclimated to that lighting, and Derasa, Squamosa, and Hippos will thrive lower in the tank.

Perfect that's exactly what I was looking for.

I use a combo of led (sb reef lights) and t5 (one biotek marine t5 led and one ATI blue+ traditional t5 bulb). My PAR reading at the sand bed of my tank is around 80-100. Which clam would do best with that par value?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Derasa, and Hippos.

I would start with a Derasa and if the clams does ok then try a Squamosa. Both can be fast growers so take that into account regarding tank size and utilization of elements. My Hippos sucks up the Ca like a sponge.

:)

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking back in with everyone. I got a Derasa clam and I love it! It's on the bottom in the sand bed and has already acclimated well. The only thing that I've seen that concerns me is that it seems like the clam moves a little over night. At first I thought a snail or crab may have bumped into it, but this morning it had done a nearly 90 degree pivot. Is this something Derasa clams do normally?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, healthy clams move around a lot as least mine do. My large Hippospus moves a couple inches to and fro every night. If the clam is on the sand bed it will find it's sweet spot.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and Congratulations on the Clam..:D

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and Congratulations on the Clam..:D

Thanks!

1d4fd635adbdd862035fd62fec6a58b9.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Good luck!

They will use NO3 and phosphate, just like coral do, but how much is hard to say. Even more so they prefer to use ammonia. According to a book I have on clams when raised for food they dose ammonia however they grow so fast the shells become thin and brittle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back