OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's absolutely beautiful. I'm thinking about buying one. How are they upkeep wise? I've heard many different things...
Clams are easy to keep. As long as your perams are good and you buy a healthy clam you won’t have any issues. If you get a really small one you can feed phyto but imo, this is optional. Make sure you don’t have any fish that like to snack on clams :)

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are easy to keep. As long as your perams are good and you buy a healthy clam you won’t have any issues. If you get a really small one you can feed phyto but imo, this is optional. Make sure you don’t have any fish that like to snack on clams :)
Lit! I think I'll be getting one of those first grade from algae barn next week.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's absolutely beautiful. I'm thinking about buying one. How are they upkeep wise? I've heard many different things...
I literally don't do anything special for it. I keep it in high light and have elevated nutrients in my 30 gallon and it stays happy

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSA posted a couple WYSIWYG this weekend for $60ish dollars. Still had a few up yesterday, not all were blue though

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought thr top tier blue maxima from them. It came in beautifully colored. It ended up dying though, not sure why. It's foot never took ahold of anything. Looked healthy on arrival, I'm sure it was something in my tank.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought thr top tier blue maxima from them. It came in beautifully colored. It ended up dying though, not sure why. It's foot never took ahold of anything. Looked healthy on arrival, I'm sure it was something in my tank.
It’s foot doesn’t necessarily need to be attached to anything my coworker glues the shell to a frag disk and he mounts it on the edge of a rock structure where there’s good light and flow, both his clams were bought at TSA starting at 2” and now they’re about 4-5” lol the frag disk glueing allows him to move the clam whenever he needs to as opposed to letting it attach and if it needs to be moved risk tearing the viceral organ

ReQuackulous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely!!!
Tbh I would avoid first grade, I got two first grades, 1 is okay and the other is like 80% brown. Algae barn advised it was from stress but its not coloring up and it probably won't. If you like something specific maybe go for a wysiwyg? In ordering from algaebarn they have a really strong return policy that a friend and I had to use. We had several clams arrive either dead or dying and had to get replacements.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I would avoid first grade, I got two first grades, 1 is okay and the other is like 80% brown. Algae barn advised it was from stress but its not coloring up and it probably won't. If you like something specific maybe go for a wysiwyg? In ordering from algaebarn they have a really strong return policy that a friend and I had to use. We had several clams arrive either dead or dying and had to get replacements.
Dang, is there any specifications you can make? Id hate to do wysiwyg theyre so expensive

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you order ultra grade, I’d assume they’d be very blue. If they’re not, that’d be a massive rip off
Ultra grade are $90 though lol I really just think I'll do first grade so I can get a darwin clown too. I'll risk it for the biscuit.

ReQuackulous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra grade are $90 though lol I really just think I'll do first grade so I can get a darwin clown too. I'll risk it for the biscuit.
Gotta do what you gotta do. I'll post a pic later of the two I got. I was reading someone else's righteous post here regarding the difficulty in finding information on what to expect when ordering different grades. Just really pretty photos of premium clams.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta do what you gotta do. I'll post a pic later of the two I got. I was reading someone else's righteous post here regarding the difficulty in finding information on what to expect when ordering different grades. Just really pretty photos of premium clams.
Thanks for posting 1st grades! All we have right now are ultra and I’d really like to see the spread and what exactly qualifies as a first grade vs ultra grade vs premium first grade. Mainly the difference between premium first and regular first, as I’m kinda figuring ultra grade will be very blue. The pics for premium first grade on algaebarn are very interesting, some have pinkish hues which I’m guessing I won’t be able to get with an ultra grade

ReQuackulous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved the tile these were on so they're a little closed up, both were bought as first grade colored. The brown one has slight coloration on the right of its mantle. They're temporarily in a frag tank while I clean up my display so i'm able to get decent top down photos.

20201102_161805(1).jpg 20201102_161800.jpg

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved the tile these were on so they're a little closed up, both were bought as first grade colored. The brown one has slight coloration on the right of its mantle. They're temporarily in a frag tank while I clean up my display so i'm able to get decent top down photos.

20201102_161805(1).jpg 20201102_161800.jpg
I love the blue one! Very nice clam and I'd say thats a great buy for the price, the brown one would be a let-down for me though. I guess first grade color has a pretty wide spectrum, I wonder what counts as premium first grade! Honestly, I'd say that the blue one looks more similar to the ultra grade than first grade

ReQuackulous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the blue one! Very nice clam and I'd say thats a great buy for the price, the brown one would be a let-down for me though. I guess first grade color has a pretty wide spectrum, I wonder what counts as premium first grade! Honestly, I'd say that the blue one looks more similar to the ultra grade than first grade
Yeah the brown clam was a bit of a disappointment, but its my clam now so I'll offer it the best life I can. Its a little hard to tell, but the blue one is essentially a brown mantle with blue patterns throughout. Both of these clams did not really wow me. I think in retrospect I would have been happier with an ultra gold, just due to their unique patterns. Either that or pay more for the ultra colored.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the brown clam was a bit of a disappointment, but its my clam now so I'll offer it the best life I can. Its a little hard to tell, but the blue one is essentially a brown mantle with blue patterns throughout. Both of these clams did not really wow me. I think in retrospect I would have been happier with an ultra gold, just due to their unique patterns. Either that or pay more for the ultra colored.
I think I’m leaning towards the premium first grade just because I really like the pinkish color. I have a blue one and I love it to pieces, but I really people (especially non-reefers) to be able to tell the difference. Easier to justify having 3 clams to my mom when they all look very different :) Not from algaebarn, but this is the pink I’m talking about
CB7B164D-A179-4B60-B0FE-6E9DA9852597.png

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back