Clams from the fish market?!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those might be just a tad large for 14 gallon reef XD but now I'm curious...

I guess I'll keep throwing darts till they stick. No harm no foul since they would be eaten or tossed anyway.
If you ever try oyster do minimum 2 in a plastic mesh bag,hang so you can pull out and see if any dead, like in picture, seams to help. Pacific oysters one type can live in 65f-80f waters

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever try oyster do minimum 2 in a plastic mesh bag,hang so you can pull out and see if any dead, like in picture, seams to help. Pacific oysters one type can live in 65f-80f waters
Ooof. I don't have room for that but one day I will add a 90 gallon sump/refugium.

But Ezreal why have a 14g display with a 90g fuge? Because nanos are the greatest things in life and god bless the brave souls who put the effort in to making them work.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea making your own fish foods

Not sure if you know this from SNL
upload_2019-4-3_12-53-51.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooof. I don't have room for that but one day I will add a 90 gallon sump/refugium.

But Ezreal why have a 14g display with a 90g fuge? Because nanos are the greatest things in life and god bless the brave souls who put the effort in to making them work.
You opened a can of worms I used to have a 24 gallon display tank for NPS softies. Two 55 gallon refugium outside the house.
Had 80 oysters 10 clams 3 abalone, all else required.

That's some hardcore Reef keeping
If I was in prison I'd be part of The 500 Club.

Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-59-45-1 (1).png

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea making your own fish foods

Not sure if you know this from SNL
upload_2019-4-3_12-53-51.jpeg
I wish I had a food processor so I don't have to stink up my only blender XD

No I was never really in to SNL or
tele much. Loved Happy Days

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You opened a can of worms I used to have a 24 gallon display tank for NPS softies. Two 55 gallon refugium outside the house.
Had 80 oysters 10 clams 3 abalone, all else required.

That's some hardcore Reef keeping
If I was in prison I'd be part of The 500 Club.

Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-59-45-1 (1).png
It's a can if worms I opened in.....2013? Crash after crash after crash. But my biggest issue was a lack of water changes. Doing these regular 5g changes has kept a wonderful stability however that will rapidly fall apart on e I have to feed more NPS.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on water changes, I moved tank to the boonies, water scarce so haven't hooked up auto water changer, but if I could, it would improve my tank more. True
Do you have a RODI? Back when I started I didn't have one so I'd have to schlep down to the reef store and bring 5g cans and buckets to fill with saltwater. So I ended up doing infrequent changes.

But I bought my RODI and salt before even thinking about starting the tank again.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a RODI? Back when I started I didn't have one so I'd have to schlep down to the reef store and bring 5g cans and buckets to fill with saltwater. So I ended up doing infrequent changes.

But I bought my RODI and salt before even thinking about starting the tank again.
No, just tap. No issues. But since using real ocean water, been easier. Using ocean water last 5 months(when I moved DT). Works for me.

20190503_102247.jpg

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the Quahog Clam aka the Hard Clam or Mercenaria Mercenaria/Mercenaria Campichiensis has a life span of 1-40 but Mercenaria species lives 4-8 years. Since I haven't been able to find the age which these clams are harvested at it means that I either have a few months or a few years with these beautiful creatures.

Of course if these are another species that are cold water I will only have a few weeks or days. C'est la vie et tempus fugit.

French and Latin... ehh it works.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I heard last night was *clack* *snap* *clack* everyone was bothering one of the clams. The other two were fine and left mostly alone but I think one of them is dying because the nassarius never left it alone and the pepper shrimp was having a go.

It's possible it was sick or just didn't transition well, it hasn't popped open yet so I'm not sure if it's dead but it's not closing all the way either...

The other 2 are great though, they had their valves out all night which was pretty cool to see.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190505_123847.jpg

The valve is a lot darker than the rest of it. They like to bury themselves in the sediment and pop their valves out of the sand but the sand bed is too shallow to bury them completely

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Online places sell these as filter feeding CUC. Lol. I put a few into my sump awhile back just for fun because they were on our dinner menu. White clam ones. Surprisingly they lasted a long time. Months and months.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the survivors are doing well!! I only see their valves as they live in the sand mostly these days. Fascinating additions to your reef folks buy a few and give em a chance! They are aslo really neat filters for your water too.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was posting this big guy had a fit after I cleaned the tank and dug him self out woopsie. He'll be back in the sand soon
20190524_153649.jpg

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 10 from Publix because of this thread. 8 dug into sandbed right away. 2 are getting harassed by crabs
9a7bbebfdb58ad677b67398c5d88b695.jpg
Keep an eye on the ones the crabs are bothering. I have found the ones they go for end up dead. I dont know if its the crabs that kill them or they are just sickly. Also My reef is very small so I can broadcast feed phyto but if your reef is large it might be a good idea to turn off all pumps once a week and target feed above them. I hope they go well for you!!!

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's a little update folks! It has been over a month now and all clams are doing superb!!!!!! They are always active and feeding. This little experiment went swimmingly!

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update I dug up 6 of them and could not find the other 2. Within an hour they burrowed back down into the sand.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back