Clams from the fish market?!

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Publix sells what I thought were freshly dead clams but today I found out they are live!!!

I'm wondering how well they do in the reef? I imagine they are fine. I let them warm up in the market bag and put them in the tank they opened up right away. I'm worried though the hermit crab and Emerald crab and nassarius and pepper shrimp will eat them because they came to investigate right away. I saw the hermit pick shmutz off the clams shells and a little bit from the edge of the shell and then left them alone. But I think the Pepper might damage them before they can close.

Thoughts?
20190504_202128.jpg
20190504_202824.jpg
20190504_202133.jpg
20190504_202854.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clams are live setting on ice. I just added one to my fowl tank. Ive got a Toby puffer in the tank. So far it hasn't touched the clam

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you are having a good evening.

I was not sure from the post (excuse me I am a bit slow on the uptake).

We’re you looking for dead clams for some reason or live clams. I buy 24 clams at a time, but they are for food after I freeze them and always live or in the trash if not
Do not buy dead clams. If you are looking for live clams for your tank I would hesitate because you have no idea what they harbor. Also. The clams you are putting in the tank will eventually be food for the clean up crew at some point.

The live clams can be dropped in on the half shell but that is a specific feeding.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right?!

They have those sharp black clams too. I might buy some

I am thinking the sharp black ones you refer to are mussels. The only thing I can add is if you see the animal at a grocery store is being sold in an aquarium store?

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you are having a good evening.

I was not sure from the post (excuse me I am a bit slow on the uptake).

We’re you looking for dead clams for some reason or live clams. I buy 24 clams at a time, but they are for food after I freeze them and always live or in the trash if not
Do not buy dead clams. If you are looking for live clams for your tank I would hesitate because you have no idea what they harbor. Also. The clams you are putting in the tank will eventually be food for the clean up crew at some point.

The live clams can be dropped in on the half shell but that is a specific feeding.
No these are for live additions. Good point about what they harbour, I have no idea. But I don't have any other clams but I plan to eventually keep some flame scallops

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love flame scallop. Kinda hard to keep but wicked awesome

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wont last too long as most come from cooler water and you will have a difficult time meeting its dietary requirements.
The reef is at 76-78 not sure if that's the right temp but these are Florida farmed clams and the invert shops occasionally stock these as babies. My reef is aimed towards NPS so I dose reef chilli and dry phytoplankton. I will eventually start culturing live phyto.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love flame scallop. Kinda hard to keep but wicked awesome
I managed to keep one for a year before a catastrophic crash wiped it and 90% of my reef out. I would stop the pumps and then broadcast live phyto over my NPS inverts and give them an hour to feed. Lot of work but I love NPS stuff.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped mine with expectations of it being devoured. The puffer seems not to care

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking the sharp black ones you refer to are mussels. The only thing I can add is if you see the animal at a grocery store is being sold in an aquarium store?
I believe they are called Blue Mussels? I saw them called Prince Edward Mussles too, I'm assuming because those were cultivated on PEI

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Publix sells what I thought were freshly dead clams but today I found out they are live!!!

I'm wondering how well they do in the reef? I imagine they are fine. I let them warm up in the market bag and put them in the tank they opened up right away. I'm worried though the hermit crab and Emerald crab and nassarius and pepper shrimp will eat them because they came to investigate right away. I saw the hermit pick shmutz off the clams shells and a little bit from the edge of the shell and then left them alone. But I think the Pepper might damage them before they can close.

Thoughts?
20190504_202128.jpg
20190504_202824.jpg
20190504_202133.jpg
20190504_202854.jpg
Thanks great, I've had those in past, gotta feed them right, two days ago I add 47 Pacific oysters in a refugium , one picture show from where, I've tried all oysters from different markets with limited success. Till I came across these at Asian market. I use to pre-filter DT water, I like to over feed. I love them

20190502_111050.jpg

20190502_122414.jpg

20190502_154509.jpg

20190502_154502.jpg

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @tehmadreefer ....most of these clams come from colder waters. My experience is that they won't last but 2 - 4 weeks. As soon as you see they are dead, pull them out and chop them up for fish food. The fish love clams! If they really reek, they've been dead too long, and toss them.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks great, I've had those in past, gotta feed them right, two days ago I add 47 Pacific oysters in a refugium , one picture show from where, I've tried all oysters from different markets with limited success. Till I came across these at Asian market. I use the to pre-filter water, I like to over feed. I love them

20190502_111050.jpg

20190502_122414.jpg

20190502_154509.jpg

20190502_154502.jpg
Those might be just a tad large for 14 gallon reef XD but now I'm curious...

I guess I'll keep throwing darts till they stick. No harm no foul since they would be eaten or tossed anyway.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef is at 76-78 not sure if that's the right temp but these are Florida farmed clams and the invert shops occasionally stock these as babies. My reef is aimed towards NPS so I dose reef chilli and dry phytoplankton. I will eventually start culturing live phyto.

Since they are warmer water ones they may just last a whole, keep em fed and turn your return pump off like feeding reef rods

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @tehmadreefer ....most of these clams come from colder waters. My experience is that they won't last but 2 - 4 weeks. As soon as you see they are dead, pull them out and chop them up for fish food. The fish love clams! If they really reek, they've been dead too long, and toss them.
1 fish 2 fish...

Boy that takes me back.

But I stated before that these were cultivated here in FL. I have no idea what conditions though. I hope your wrong but you're probably not =(

Yes if the shells pop I will chop em up. I actually bought a few last week not realising they were live and mixed them with scallops reef chilli and white shrimp and blended them and froze em for food. I used to make my own food back when I had this reef running in 2015. Did a mix of scallop fresh crab fresh shrimp white fish pods fish eggs and phyto all very finely chopped and frozen.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back