Clarification on Reef Crest and Lagoon modes (random?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 1, Guests: 1)

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I'm pretty sure someone can answer this, but the Vortechs Reef Crest and Lagoon modes are described as "random" and the chart on the web page depicts a sample pump output.

So a couple questions about this. Is this mode truly random, varying each time you use it, or is it just a random pattern that was generated by Ecotech that is used as a template for pump output each time the mode is used??

To put it another way, if I put two MP40s side by side, and start Reef Crest mode at the exact same time, will the flow pattern/pump power vary the exact same way? Or is this truly a random mode, that 'on the fly' randomly changes the power/flow settings. So no two Reef Crest modes are ever the same. (I understand I can slave the two MP40s if I want the same flow, the illustration is more to ask the question of how truly random are these flow modes)

Also, the power setting for the pump is the max power the pump will hit over the course of the program. Is this the case also for the Lagoon mode (sets the max power setting) ?

Finally, how frequently is the power varied in Reef Crest mode? Does the pump switch power every 30 secs? Every minute ? Every 5 mins ? 10 mins ? I have no idea what "frequently" changes flow means. This would help me determine if I need to use another mode in addition to short Wave Pulse if I want rapidly changing flow.

Thanks!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no such thing as truly random. These are programmed by humans and run that program over and over.

It changes every couple seconds. Up and down, all day long

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as truly random. These are programmed by humans and run that program over and over.

It changes every couple seconds. Up and down, all day long

Ok. So that pre-programmed random power cycle is just a template, so if two MP40s are started at the exact same time they will be running at the exact same speeds, mirroring each other, the entire time ?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. So that pre-programmed random power cycle is just a template, so if two MP40s are started at the exact same time they will be running at the exact same speeds, mirroring each other, the entire time ?

I am not sure if it is that exact so I’d hate to give incorrect information on it. For example, maybe a pump has the ability to start at a different point? But it still runs the program

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. One can absolutely create a program to randomly choose the speeds at varying intervals.
It is still a program, but it will choose random speeds at random times. It's pretty easy to find examples of this in Arduino forums.

I have no idea how Ecotech is achieving this.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back