Clarisea questions from a newbie

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I have a reefer 350 (v3 sump) up and running close to 3 months now. Going well, but the water has slowly but surely getting cloudier as time goes buy. It would seem a Clarisea filter roller is the way to go. I've had a look at a few different threads but most seem to involve a load of DIY stuff. Mainly cutting out the filter sock section and glass panel next to the down pipe. Also means getting rid of the ATO reservoir.

My question is, whether there's a less intrusive way of adding a Clarisea without having to change the sump around too much. At least not right now. My idea was to hang it in the heater section, shown in the picture. Then pick up a cheap (ish) submersible pump and have it sitting in that same heater section, with a flexi tube going in to the clarisea. Would this work ok? Would the Clarisea even fit in that section?

It would probably depend on which model, the 3000 or the 5000. Is there much difference between the two. Would a 3000 suffice for a reefer 350.

Thanks in advance.!

sump.png

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the other Red Sea socks? Looks like the mesh one is in the sump right now. I would try those to see if they filter better (material is more like the roller material) to see if that solves your problem prior to investing in the roller. Also looks like carbon in the right filter sock location. That may be letting a lot of particulates through which could be clouding the water also. Could also try putting another sock where the carbon is and put the carbon in the heater compartment or run through a reactor. Good luck

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the other Red Sea socks? Looks like the mesh one is in the sump right now. I would try those to see if they filter better (material is more like the roller material) to see if that solves your problem prior to investing in the roller. Also looks like carbon in the right filter sock location. That may be letting a lot of particulates through which could be clouding the water also. Could also try putting another sock where the carbon is and put the carbon in the heater compartment or run through a reactor. Good luck
Yes i have one of the other type rs socks, the lower micron one. It does work but only briefly before it has to be changed and washed etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Modifications of sump usually the solution

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting a cheap two fish reactor or IM reactor for carbon or gfo. I have one, it's cheap like 60 or so bucks, then use two of the thicker filter socks. :) get a few of them, save some money and headaches.

Though, I so wish I could use a clarisea in my sump :(

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting a cheap two fish reactor or IM reactor for carbon or gfo. I have one, it's cheap like 60 or so bucks, then use two of the thicker filter socks. :) get a few of them, save some money and headaches.

Though, I so wish I could use a clarisea in my sump :(
I have been using the BRS reactors for 10+ years and have been happy with them. They have a 5 inch which I use on one system that has 103 gal as well as on my 40 gal system. $70 with a pump. brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-5-single.html.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back