Clarisea SK-5000 Dirty Roll Removal

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, does anyone else with a Clarisea SK-5000 have problems removing the dirty roll? It should just slide off but after 10+ roll changes, i've yet to manage to do that. I end up cutting away with a knife - creating a real mess and stink!

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pushing down over a piece of large pvc pipe, I have now been able to slide the old roll off the motor - This obviously isn't as the manufacturer intended but there is no other way to get the roll off. I went back and watched the Clarisea setup and roll change videos - I note they conveniently cut the shot at the point of actually dirty roll removal - seems they're unable to remove it without hassle either!

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pushing down over a piece of large pvc pipe, I have now been able to slide the old roll off the motor - This obviously isn't as the manufacturer intended but there is no other way to get the roll off. I went back and watched the Clarisea setup and roll change videos - I note they conveniently cut the shot at the point of actually dirty roll removal - seems they're unable to remove it without hassle either!

I think you may have busted them. With the old fleece I could get the dirty roll off with a little effort, but certainly far from impossible. With the new fleece, on the other hand (XL, different material), the fleece seems to be thinner and stretches more. As a result, it clings really, really tightly around the drum, which precludes the split sleeve from sliding off easily.

I also have problem with new fleece -- not seen before with the old fleece -- where it bunches up in the middle of the roll and doesn't lie flat, which eventually blocks the drum from rotating because the hump (where it is bunched up) starts to rub up against the sidewalls and creates too much friction for the drum torque to overcome. Anyone else seeing this? Have you figured out how to avoid it?

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have problem with new fleece -- not seen before with the old fleece -- where it bunches up in the middle of the roll and doesn't lie flat, which eventually blocks the drum from rotating because the hump (where it is bunched up) starts to rub up against the sidewalls and creates too much friction for the drum torque to overcome. Anyone else seeing this? Have you figured out how to avoid it?

Wrote to D-D (the mfr) directly. Problem to be solved with extra spacer roller. See https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/sk5000-fleece-forming-ridge-centre-dirty-roll

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted them a while back to discuss the problems. Funny enough, they suggested pushing down on a piece of pipe! Wonder if they read this thread! They also sent me a spacer bar which immediately resolved the bunching issue.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back