Clarity on Tropic Marin Part C

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sounds like I shouldn't be dosing both part C and the 2PART BRS MAG, because when each was described in their respective videos... they were described identically.. "to maintain ionic balance"

Correct, you should not blindly use both at the recommended amounts. They both add magnesium and sulfate for the same reason.

If you are using both, I'd use the Part C at the recommended rate, and the BRS (which is my DIY) only for magnesium boosts when measurement suggests it is needed. :)

The comment from them about different recipes is also true, but not a big deal in this situation. The optimal relative amounts of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate are different in a product only for supplementing magnesium, and a product also used to boost sulfate when used with all the chloride from calcium chloride. Since the Part C does that already, you do not need the high sulfate recipe, but it is not going to matter much in this setting.

Quilecito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a doubt . If I use carbocalcium, is it necessary to use sodium chloride (part C)?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a doubt . If I use carbocalcium, is it necessary to use sodium chloride (part C)?

No, Part C is not needed or useful when using carbocalcium, since it does not add large amounts of sodium or chloride.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks, so what is it combined with? .With Tropic Marin® A- B + ELEMENTS?

Balling Part C is used with calcium chloride for calcium and sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide for alkalinity.

When you use calcium chloride and sodium carbonate, you are left with a residue of sodium chloride in the water. To keep everything at an appropriate seawater balance, the Part C adds everything seawater has in the appropriate ratio to combine with that added sodium chloride to produce normal seawater.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread. Sorry Randy I didn't realize that this thread was active. Still trying to learn this forum. I think I got the answer a few pages ago, but wanted to doublecheck it with Randy. If I am dosing 50 mls/day CaCl and 80 mls/day NaBicarb then I should use the dosing amount of the CaCl, meaning the lower of the two amounts? I use Neptune Trident to check my parameters and my alk intake if always higher than calcium.

FWIW, I have been dosing Part C for a week now and still need to dose Mg. Although this is not a large sample size at all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread. Sorry Randy I didn't realize that this thread was active. Still trying to learn this forum. I think I got the answer a few pages ago, but wanted to doublecheck it with Randy. If I am dosing 50 mls/day CaCl and 80 mls/day NaBicarb then I should use the dosing amount of the CaCl, meaning the lower of the two amounts? I use Neptune Trident to check my parameters and my alk intake if always higher than calcium.

FWIW, I have been dosing Part C for a week now and still need to dose Mg. Although this is not a large sample size at all.

What solution recipes are you using?

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What solution recipes are you using?
Oh Sorry forgot to mention details. I am using BRS recipe two part with CaCl and NaBicarb. I add 1 cup and 2 tbsp of the bicarb and 2.5 cups of CaCl to a gallon mix separately.

As of now dosing 80 mls of the alk and 50 mls of Calcium per day via Neptune DOS pumps. Am also dosing Mg in very little amounts. I think it's about 20-30 mls per day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Sorry forgot to mention details. I am using BRS recipe two part with CaCl and NaBicarb. I add 1 cup and 2 tbsp of the bicarb and 2.5 cups of CaCl to a gallon mix separately.

As of now dosing 80 mls of the alk and 50 mls of Calcium per day via Neptune DOS pumps. Am also dosing Mg in very little amounts. I think it's about 20-30 mls per day.

That one would require half as much Part C per mL dosed as the sodium carbonate/washing soda/soda ash recipe. :)

You can probably stop the magnesium and take a wait and see approach on it. It's the main ingredient in Part C.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one would require half as much Part C per mL dosed as the sodium carbonate/washing soda/soda ash recipe. :)

You can probably stop the magnesium and take a wait and see approach on it. It's the main ingredient in Part C.
Ok got it. Thanks Randy. I think this Part C formula is more diluted from some of the older posts I've been reading.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got it. Thanks Randy. I think this Part C formula is more diluted from some of the older posts I've been reading.

OK, I haven't followed the recipes and directions for Part C. Just going from the theory of how it works.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I haven't followed the recipes and directions for Part C. Just going from the theory of how it works.
No worries. I've only had Part C dosing for a week now but I just checked my Triton results on Mg and they are actually almost the same number. 1404 ppm a week ago to todays number at 1403. I'll monitor Mg though just in case. Thanks again Randy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I've only had Part C dosing for a week now but I just checked my Triton results on Mg and they are actually almost the same number. 1404 ppm a week ago to todays number at 1403. I'll monitor Mg though just in case. Thanks again Randy.

Using Part C should not increase magnesium. It will just keep the downward salinity downward adjustments needed with a two part from driving down magnesium (and all other seawater ions). :)

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Part C should not increase magnesium. It will just keep the downward salinity downward adjustments needed with a two part from driving down magnesium (and all other seawater ions). :)
Got it. I think that was the topic of discussion at the beginning of this thread with you and Tropic Marine.

Veteran Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do I just mix up a and b and put in DDR, then hand dose part c? Or do I have to buy a second DDR for it and use a second dos?

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity I have seen the Tropic Marin All For Reef recipe as:

140 gm CarboCalcium (Calcium Formate) and 12 gm BioMagnesium (Magnesium Salts) with trace salts.

I really wonder if CarboCalcium and part C are the same thing almost. I suspect Part C has Iodide salts

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

140 gm CarboCalcium (Calcium Formate) and 12 gm BioMagnesium (Magnesium Salts) with trace salts.

I really wonder if CarboCalcium and part C are the same thing almost. I suspect Part C has Iodide salts

They are not.

part C is all elements of seawater minus sodium chloride. It certainly contains iodide.

Carbocalcium is calcium formate.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be really correct, and split a few hairs, in addition to the sodium chloride that @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned is NOT in the Balling Part C, it also DOES NOT contain any calcium or carbonates, as those are supplied by the Balling Parts A&B.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. If I knew there would be so much support I would have phrased my interest/question a bit more clear. I have used BRS 2 partwith Tropic Marin Part C and Iodide levels by ICP once a year are consistent and stable.

What is the difference between Tropic Marin BioMagnesium and Tropic Marin Part C. My assumption is they are both Magnesium salts with trace elements. Perhaps Biomagnesium does not have trace elemetns?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back