clarkii's laid eggs!!! questions????

got zoanthids?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clarkii's that were unpaired when I got them a year ago have laid eggs. I have never tried to raise the fry and realize it may be too late to hatch this group but where are any GREAT info at raising them? good sites? I didnt see any good sticky's at RC site either.
My coris wrasse is trying to get at the eggs when the anemone is retracted but the clowns seem to hold it back for now. I need to know if I can remove that rock now or if the parents have to watch over the eggs for a period of time.
Thanks in advance, Scott

Fishboy42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott, congrats on the spawning! Wilkerson's Clownfish book is good, as well as the sticky at RC in the nem/clown forum (under the FAQ--something like "my clowns laid eggs; now what?") Ask away if you have any questions and I'll do my best to lend a helping hand. You aren't in Western VA are you? (I'm in East TN)

Matt

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Matt (fishboy42) how bout writing us up a sticky bro?

Welcome to CZ!

PS. Matt is a fish breeding pro! It's great to have him here at CZ!I have been waiting on you.

OP
OP
G

got zoanthids?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Matt,

Unfortunately right after I got a fry tank set up my yellow coris wrasse slowly ate all the eggs over the course of 24 hours or so. The anemone covered the eggs much of the time but when it retracted the wrasse attacked. It was the first "nest" of eggs I have seen so I hope more are soon to come.
One question I have is, can the rock with the eggs be taken out after they lay the eggs or does the male have to tend to the eggs for them to hatch? I could have removed the rock but was worried the male had to tend to them.
Hopefully I can try in a few weeks if they have more.
Thanks, Scott
got zoanthids?

Fishboy42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the rock or spawning substrate to another tank for hatching. Although other hatcheries do it often, I have not had good success pulling the nests out right after they are laid (if I have to do it, I do it on hatch night). The tricky thing is to keep them agitated to simulate the male's nest-tending and keep the eggs healthy until they hatch. An airstone placed under the nest often helps.

I'm sure they'll lay eggs again. Often they become better parents as they practice. Good luck with them.

Matt

Back