Classic 100-HOB overflowing into second chamber

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d3e495278417ba4bf3469490c456ba96.jpg

Is this normal operation? Some skimmate goes into the cup but some goes through the little hole in between the chambers. If I lower the cup to cover the hole then the collection cup fills with water fast. I know I am supposed to prime it and I think I’m doing it correctly. Covering the airline until the bubbles stop. So any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal when there is something in the water that causes excess foam. The hole on the upper side of the reaction chamber is a purge hole to prevent the overflow if the water level gets too high in the reaction chamber. There are many things that cause overflow on skimmers, especially skimmers on smaller systems. The most common or bacterial additives (often used for cycling aquariums), Dechlorinator, New-unwashed filter socks, coral food, frag putty cyano remover and other medications.

The use of fresh activated carbon changed weekly will help remove what is in the water. Once that happens the water level in the skimmer chamber will lower and discontinue to exit out of the side hole. Water changes with will help as long as the reagent is not present in the makeup water.

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok very interesting, after adding coral food the skimmer does go crazy. So plugging the hole is a bad idea? :) basically the water level in the reaction chamber rises and carries foam through the hole between the chambers. I was thinking the foam was rising and just going into the other chamber instead of going up into the cup. The thing is a beast and I just want to maximize its potential. Thank you for the reply

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back