"Classic" dual corner overflow 180g build thread

dreadcapn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a great deal on a 180 that I couldn't pass up.

It is a "classic" style 180 - 24"x24"x72" with dual corner overflows, each with two holes that can accomodate one 3/4" and one 1" bulkheads. Although this was the "standard" 180 gallon until relatively recently, I've found it harder than I'd have expected to find info as I need it. It feels like most 180g posts and questions over recent years deal with boutique tanks or overflows, so hopefully this thread will be useful to someone out there one day. I'm realistically expecting a few months before it's up and going, but we will see how things go. I've got a few wacky ideas I'm going to be testing out in this second build, now that I have 3 years of research and experience with my first 90g / 92g corner bowfront reef tank. Attached is the picture of the tank as it stands today at the start of the build.

IMG_20200804_110537.jpg

Active questions:

OP
OP
dreadcapn

dreadcapn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Progress:
Reinforce Floor

To Do:
Clean tank
Leak test tank
Plumb tank
Wash Sand
Cure/cycle rock and sand
Decide sump/fuge solution

Completed:
Order sand, rock, bulkheads, valves

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreadcapn

dreadcapn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I'm still in the planning stages, I went ahead and got sand and rock ordered as those things ultimately need the longest time "in process".

After looking around and reading reviews for a week, I decided to *not* go with Marco rock as I'd originally planned, but to instead try dry rock from eBay. After picking a seller on eBay, Addictive Reef Keeping, I thought to check to see if they had a direct site and they did - I always try to do this because I'd rather give a small business money than give eBay a cut.

The rock had good reviews and I've got high hopes for it - they even have a great video up from last year showing a pack out.

In the end I ordered 75 lbs of Extra Large rock and 40 lbs of Med/Lrg rock to supplement the live rock I'll be moving over at less than $2/lb - score!

For sand, I ordered 80 lbs of Aragonite Special Grade from BRS (along with new bulkheads and valves for the plumbing), and 60 lbs of Natures Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand Black Beach. I didn't care about about the "bio-active" part but this was the black sand that I found the best feedback on. Dontworryaboutit.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back