" clean Chaeto" definition

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your definition of clean Chaeto?

I have seen several WTB ads for clean chaeto.

Over the weekend I did a large trim on my chaeto and threw it in the garbage not knowing what the definition of clean is.

I am not looking to make money off of this and I know how long and hard it was to find some to start off with for myself at a reasonable price.

Since I do not know what the definition is I would hate to send some to someone and it not be clean.

I have had chaeto tumbling for 4 weeks now after the tank cycling process. Ammonia and nitrites have consistently been 0 for the last 4 weeks. nitrates are somewhat High running between 40 and 80

Currently waiting for my tank to finish the 76 day fishless cycle after adding cuc and a chocolate chip starfish.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your definition of clean Chaeto?

I have seen several WTB ads for clean chaeto.

Over the weekend I did a large trim on my chaeto and threw it in the garbage not knowing what the definition of clean is.

I am not looking to make money off of this and I know how long and hard it was to find some to start off with for myself at a reasonable price.

Since I do not know what the definition is I would hate to send some to someone and it not be clean.

I have had chaeto tumbling for 4 weeks now after the tank cycling process. Ammonia and nitrites have consistently been 0 for the last 4 weeks. nitrates are somewhat High running between 40 and 80

Currently waiting for my tank to finish the 76 day fishless cycle after adding cuc and a chocolate chip starfish.
"Clean" chaeto means it's been combed through and had anything that isnt chaeto taken out such as hitchhikers (pods, bristleworms, nudibranches ect...) foreign algaes (hair algae, slime algae ect..) so the risk of introducing anything other than chaeto to your system has been greatly reduced.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the seller and your expectations. One fairly well-known online vendor sells "clean chaeto", and that means it has been grown in isolation so the chances of hitchhikers is extremely minimal. But if buying chaeto that's been harvested from someone's sump, I think you just have to trust the seller that there are at minimum no visible hitchhikers and that to the best of their knowledge there's nothing nasty in the tank that could come along for the ride.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Aiptasia come into my system from a friend giving me some for my refugium. Pest-free macroalgae is something that is overlooked by many until they face an issue with a pest or hitchhiker. Since, I've quickly "dipped" Chaetomorpha in a dilute bleach solution as a preventative.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Aiptasia come into my system from a friend giving me some for my refugium. Pest-free macroalgae is something that is overlooked by many until they face an issue with a pest or hitchhiker. Since, I've quickly "dipped" Chaetomorpha in a dilute bleach solution as a preventative.

How dilute does it take to not kill chaeto?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Saw other discussions where people trying to do this had a hard time finding a concentration that doesn't kill the macroalgae.
Capful = ?? ml
And yes, it ought to be effective since it's well higher then concentrations used for sterilizing culture media for phyto Etc (1ml/L)

I used a capful in a gallon of RODI water, then dunked it several times and rinsed. I'm not sure if it was effective, but it gave me some cheap piece of mind.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Saw other discussions where people trying to do this had a hard time finding a concentration that doesn't kill the macroalgae.
Capful = ?? ml
And yes, it ought to be effective since it's well higher then concentrations used for sterilizing culture media for phyto Etc (1ml/L)
Around 10 mL, I'd guess

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back