"clean chaeto" question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up an algae reactor and wanted to order your clean chaeto. My biggest concern is hitchhikers such as dinoflagellate, flatworms or other nuisance type of algae coming in with chaeto.

Can you guys briefly describe what other steps you take to make sure the chaeto is clean besides visually inspecting and manually removing bad hitchhikers?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip in Bayer mixed 10 ml per 1 oz of tank water for 15 minutes. Rinse in clean tank water for 15 minutes; repeat. Place chaeto into a 5 gal bucket of tank water. Change 1 gal every day. Keep in bucket for 16 days.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip in Bayer mixed 10 ml per 1 oz of tank water for 15 minutes. Rinse in clean tank water for 15 minutes; repeat. Place chaeto into a 5 gal bucket of tank water. Change 1 gal every day. Keep in bucket for 16 days.

Is that the steps you take to quarantine new chaeto? Or is that what Algae Barns has told customers in the past? Just genuinely curious why Algae Barn themselves are not answering the question when they seem to be replying back to other threads made after this one.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the steps you take to quarantine new chaeto? Or is that what Algae Barns has told customers in the past? Just genuinely curious why Algae Barn themselves are not answering the question when they seem to be replying back to other threads made after this one.
It's what I do to make sure of eliminating as many possible "hitchhikers" as possible. I emailed them awhile back before getting my last batch of chaeto and sea lettuce and asked them about QT. They recommend QTing everything. At least in that email.

~ Gary

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's what I do to make sure of eliminating as many possible "hitchhikers" as possible. I emailed them awhile back before getting my last batch of chaeto and sea lettuce and asked them about QT. They recommend QTing everything. At least in that email.

~ Gary

Gary, I'm going to grave dig this old post because there has been some interested in this and I wanted to make sure the question was resolved. One of our many treatments is a bayer soak, so you will likely not see any benefiting to bayering your chaeto.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, I'm going to grave dig this old post because there has been some interested in this and I wanted to make sure the question was resolved. One of our many treatments is a bayer soak, so you will likely not see any benefiting to bayering your chaeto.
Thanks for the response and the info. But as always, ultimately, the only QT I can trust is my own. I appreciate the quality product you folks provide. My last order is thriving!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back