Bubble Algae, Vibrant, and Refugiums

bill.mccrary42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for folks with experience with vibrant for bubble algae. Came in on a frag or two, cleaned & peroxide dipped what I could, but it seems to have made it to the main rock work anyway. Its not bad yet, just 2 small patches I can see, so probably a few others I cannot. I don't trust emerald crabs, too many horror stories + LFS warnings. I read all about the vibrant scandal and what have you, don't know what any final conclusions were, but it seems that the product works on bubble algae so I'm fine to try it. I do have a refugium with chaeto, and I understand vibrant will kill it as well as any other algea, but not the zooxanthellae in the coral. I've also read some claim to have lost corals due to vibrant, but seems like a YMMV sort of thing. I'm still keeping an eye on the bubble algae for now, not sure if I want to risk vibrant causing any harm, but I want to do whatever research and planning I can now.

I think my plan is simple enough but maybe you all have some advice or tips or something I'm not thinking about, so wanted to post here.
  • Manually remove as much chaeto and other algae as I can from the tank & the refugium.
  • I plan to order brand new chaeto, so as to not risk bubble algae spores surviving were I to try and reuse my old chaeto
  • I will run vibrant for as long as needed to 100% eradicate the bubble algae. Couple questions:
    • I've read ~3 weeks will do it - does that sound right? Does this mean the bubble algae are gone forever unless I somehow reintroduce them? Or does anyone have experience with them resiliently returning after some time?
    • I hear some people dose vibrant long term. I depend on my refugium for nutrient export, I guess anyone dosing vibrant all the time is using other means of export? Any experience here using it long term vs a refugium?
  • When I stop using vibrant, how long would you suggest I wait before re-introducing the new chaeto? I've read large water changes and carbon can help. Just wondering how to be confident newly added chaeto won't just die.
Thanks again in advance everyone!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s thread which may shine more light on Vibrant issue:

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I also have some bubble algae to rid of. I am currently dosing fluconazole at 4 times the recommended dosage. I dosed on Aug 31 so it’s been 13 days. Fish and corals (soft and LPS ) is doing fine including all the inverts. I haven’t noticed any major changes but it does appear the bubble algae growth has stopped…..my next stop is some emerald crabs and finally Vibrant as the nuclear option.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have some bubble algae to rid of. I am currently dosing fluconazole at 4 times the recommended dosage. I dosed on Aug 31 so it’s been 13 days. Fish and corals (soft and LPS ) is doing fine including all the inverts. I haven’t noticed any major changes but it does appear the bubble algae growth has stopped…..my next stop is some emerald crabs and finally Vibrant as the nuclear option.
Get pitho crabs not emerald.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for folks with experience with vibrant for bubble algae. Came in on a frag or two, cleaned & peroxide dipped what I could, but it seems to have made it to the main rock work anyway. Its not bad yet, just 2 small patches I can see, so probably a few others I cannot. I don't trust emerald crabs, too many horror stories + LFS warnings. I read all about the vibrant scandal and what have you, don't know what any final conclusions were, but it seems that the product works on bubble algae so I'm fine to try it. I do have a refugium with chaeto, and I understand vibrant will kill it as well as any other algea, but not the zooxanthellae in the coral. I've also read some claim to have lost corals due to vibrant, but seems like a YMMV sort of thing. I'm still keeping an eye on the bubble algae for now, not sure if I want to risk vibrant causing any harm, but I want to do whatever research and planning I can now.

I think my plan is simple enough but maybe you all have some advice or tips or something I'm not thinking about, so wanted to post here.
  • Manually remove as much chaeto and other algae as I can from the tank & the refugium.
  • I plan to order brand new chaeto, so as to not risk bubble algae spores surviving were I to try and reuse my old chaeto
  • I will run vibrant for as long as needed to 100% eradicate the bubble algae. Couple questions:
    • I've read ~3 weeks will do it - does that sound right? Does this mean the bubble algae are gone forever unless I somehow reintroduce them? Or does anyone have experience with them resiliently returning after some time?
    • I hear some people dose vibrant long term. I depend on my refugium for nutrient export, I guess anyone dosing vibrant all the time is using other means of export? Any experience here using it long term vs a refugium?
  • When I stop using vibrant, how long would you suggest I wait before re-introducing the new chaeto? I've read large water changes and carbon can help. Just wondering how to be confident newly added chaeto won't just die.
Thanks again in advance everyone!
What does YMMV mean ?

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that make sense with his use of this ? OP states that some claim to have lost coral due to vibrant but that he writes it off to YMMV
He is saying others may not lose corals.
If you are going to use vibrant just use algeafix or any other cheaper algaecide.

Also my advice would be pitho crabs and 2-4 weeks on flux.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs destroy bubble algae. The only problem with them is they set up shop in a little area of territory and keep that area bubble free. They don't roam the whole tank so you occasionally need to hand place them in areas where you want the bubble algae cleared out. They are reef safe and a much better natural option then dropping harsh chemicals into your tank and killing off your biome which opens the door for much worse problems.

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitho crabs destroy bubble algae. The only problem with them is they set up shop in a little area of territory and keep that area bubble free. They don't roam the whole tank so you occasionally need to hand place them in areas where you want the bubble algae cleared out. They are reef safe and a much better natural option then dropping harsh chemicals into your tank and killing off your biome which opens the door for much worse problems.
Never thought of doing that…. 1/4th my tank is bubble free and just thought I needed more time. Definitely think these guys wipe the floor in every way vs emerald crabs.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is saying others may not lose corals.
If you are going to use vibrant just use algeafix or any other cheaper algaecide.

Also my advice would be pitho crabs and 2-4 weeks on flux.
No that is not what he is saying . Maybe you Should read what OP said before commenting .

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of doing that…. 1/4th my tank is bubble free and just thought I needed more time. Definitely think these guys wipe the floor in every way vs emerald crabs.
Yea just hand place them where the work needs to be done. I do the same with urchins.

OP
OP
B

bill.mccrary42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks - too many uncertainties, I'll be going with manual removal for now, found a neat looking kit on fix-of-hex's store. If it gets worse vs better I'll revisit things, but maybe with an alternative to vibrant.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of pitho crabs as my LFS dont carry them so i never thought of them. I do have emeralds in my tank and since adding them and manual removal i have zero bubble algae. Now my nano has patches here and there but the tank is so small i just keep manually removing every 2-3 weeks.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will kill your Chaeto

It won't happen overnight, but your Chaeto will die.

Chaeto barely survives Reef Flux (fluconazole) - it won't survive Vibrant.

That said, I've used it anyway and just tossed my chaeto because my GHA was so out of control and nothing would reign it in.

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using vibrant but only at half the dosage. I'm on my 3rd week now. So far it's gotten 95% of the bubble algae and no effect to any of my corals. I want 100% erratication before I stop using. Like you suggested, once I stop dosing, I'll do a large water change, run carbon and then add chaeto back to my refugium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back