Dino explosion after using Vibrant

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an out break of bubble algae. Used Vibrant to knock it out. Within a week the bubble algae was gone. Then the Dino explosion happened. Anyone else experience this??

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, pretty much all vibrant users have that invasion shift. same for chemi clean users too

adding dosers and meds is bad because what you see in the occasional win post rarely transmits to an actual live time tank job. that being said, valonia is really hard to beat and you had few other options.

you're now into choosing how you handle dinos, which can be as bad. you should rip clean your tank immediately to remove the built up and decaying waste from the vibrant treatment, but that's only if you want a strong chance of winning. most people won't do that, and take their chances with the new invasion using other additives. GHA comes next in the phase shift due to in-tank treatments. rip cleans can't cause any tradeoff invasion, which is why I use them so much in work jobs.

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used vibrant a few times. I went slow, 1/3rd the calculated dose once per week for a week or two, than 1/2 twice per week for a couple months. Both times successful at removing an absolute plague of bubble algae. No adverse effects, nor loss of coral.

I did test more frequently but did not notice any unusual parameters before/after.

20240125_130039.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see your tank, how bad is it/post pic

OP
OP
Hugster78

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have an old old old iPhone. I am using a turkey baster ever hour to blast off the sps. All my parameters went out of wack. DKH went from 8.3 to over 10. Mag went from 1350 to 920. Cal is around 420. N03 and P04 went to 0. This tank is 6 years old. SPS lost all reds and pinks instantly.

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, using chemical pesticides such as Vibrant have the potential to harm more than the unwanted pest, and may not be the best way to go.
Agree with this. I was hesitant the 2nd time, as the first time was prior to the long thread about it here.

I will say that i do believe theres an impact to the overall system/bacteria, however my nitrates/phosphates didn't seem to be impacted much.

I have unsucessfully tried:
-foxface
-emerald crabs
-manual removal

I was legitimately being over ran and it was extremely unsightly.

One natural remedy that seems to work 2/2 times for me, for maintenace are Naso tangs.

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have an old old old iPhone. I am using a turkey baster ever hour to blast off the sps. All my parameters went out of wack. DKH went from 8.3 to over 10. Mag went from 1350 to 920. Cal is around 420. N03 and P04 went to 0. This tank is 6 years old. SPS lost all reds and pinks instantly.
Did you dose directly to display or sump? Double checked dose for water volume? That sounds like a separate issue, either unrelated or exacerbated by vibrant dosing. Calibrate salinity and double check? Hard to see that much mag disapearing without a salinity swing.

OP
OP
Hugster78

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose directly to display or sump? Double checked dose for water volume? That sounds like a separate issue, either unrelated or exacerbated by vibrant dosing. Calibrate salinity and double check? Hard to see that much mag disapearing without a salinity swing.
Salinity is 102.5. Stable.
Dosed it directly in the tank.

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 102.5. Stable.
Dosed it directly in the tank.
Ah i definitely wouldnt recommend that, you have to think about how concentrated that dose is going in there before its fully mixed. I typically do not dose anything other than phyto/aminos to the display, everything goes in first chamber of sump to dilute and mix prior to heading up to the display to further mix.

I still dont see an accurate dose doing all of that to your parameters unless it impact the water in a manner thats causing incorrect test results (i.e. clarity for hanna checkers).

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon, when using a chemical algaecide for one class of algae to be stressed or killed, and another less susceptible type to increase in response. To some extent it is re-released nutrients from the dying algae, also partly its just other organisms filling the niche.
The most common version of this is for cyano to slime up over the dying green algae.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common issue post vibrant. My sequence in a smaller 20g tank was:

0. Nuisance free tank for 12 months (mostly)
1. Bubble algae
2. Vibrant
3. Clear tank
4. GHA / Cyano explosion (killed everything but the fish)
5. Varios chemicals
6. Rip Clean / bottomed out Nutrients
7. Diatoms
8. Dinos
9. Blackout + pump nutrients. Dino’s defeated
10. GHA
11. Give up and get a bigger tank and not dose chemicals :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back