Bubble algae, cyano, other slimey stuff and I want to nuke with vibrant

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all-
I've been having a massive issue with algae in my 20g tank. First it was bubble algae that covered every possible place on the rocks and loose ones on the sandbed. I used reef flux x4 treatment and it did the trick in getting rid of most. But it also dropped my nitrate and phos to 0 and my corals started dying. I've been dosing neonitro and neophos for two weeks now and the nutrient levels are back up to around 5 nitrate and 0.02-0.04 phos. However, my tank looks like this....

I'm going to do a big manual removal/syphon today. But I would like to dose vibrant to eliminate all of this cyano/bubble algae/other slimey stuff for good. I can keep dosing neonitro and neophos during the vibrant dosing if that's a good idea. And yes i've tried emerald crabs lol. Would you guys recommend to dose up nutrients during vibrant treatment?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey all-
I've been having a massive issue with algae in my 20g tank. First it was bubble algae that covered every possible place on the rocks and loose ones on the sandbed. I used reef flux x4 treatment and it did the trick in getting rid of most. But it also dropped my nitrate and phos to 0 and my corals started dying. I've been dosing neonitro and neophos for two weeks now and the nutrient levels are back up to around 5 nitrate and 0.02-0.04 phos. However, my tank looks like this....

I'm going to do a big manual removal/syphon today. But I would like to dose vibrant to eliminate all of this cyano/bubble algae/other slimey stuff for good. I can keep dosing neonitro and neophos during the vibrant dosing if that's a good idea. And yes i've tried emerald crabs lol. Would you guys recommend to dose up nutrients during vibrant treatment?

No - since using vibrant (or other product) that kills algae will also likely raise your N/P. I'm not sure you can still order vibrant. There are other products that do the same thing. If I were you, I would start with physical removal methods as you planned and only use those types of products as a last resort?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - since using vibrant (or other product) that kills algae will also likely raise your N/P. I'm not sure you can still order vibrant. There are other products that do the same thing. If I were you, I would start with physical removal methods as you planned and only use those types of products as a last resort?
i'll give it a shot. ive been fighting with bubble algae for months so i know i can't with the manual removal with that one at least. Not sure about the cyano but I'll be trying in a few hours lol

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I k of that eats bubble algae is a foxface, and 20 gallons is too small for them. They say emerald crabs will eat it, but I can’t say first hand on that. Frequent water changes and manual removal is my best suggestion. You can also black out the tank for a few days. Meaning cover it to block all light out, that usually kills all algae.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those chemicals you dose kill your biome and create further problems for you. It's a bandaid solution and does not correct the underlying sources of your problems.

Pitho crabs love bubble algae and are reef safe.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those chemicals you dose kill your biome and create further problems for you. It's a bandaid solution and does not correct the underlying sources of your problems.

Pitho crabs love bubble algae and are reef safe.
i haven't tried pitho so i'll give that a look into. this current outbreak is maybe from bringing up phos and nitrate

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use vibrant. That's all I have to say. You'll nuke your algae, granted, but the chance that you'll nuke your corals is also quite high. I'd have one more 250$ trachy today if I'd kept the stuff away from my system.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use vibrant. That's all I have to say. You'll nuke your algae, granted, but the chance that you'll nuke your corals is also quite high. I'd have one more 250$ trachy today if I'd kept the stuff away from my system.
Its so confusing because some swear by it while others say that it killed corals :(

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so confusing because some swear by it while others say that it killed corals :(

It's not a good idea. I'd avoid it.

Apparently, there was a chemical analysis of the stuff a while back which showed that it was not in fact bacteria, but actually chemical algaecide. Aside from being false advertising, that was also highly illegal. In both the US and the EU, you can't market algaecide without making it clear what it actually is, as algaecide can be dangerous if mis-used. I'm not sure about Canada, but I know that here in the US I've not seen it for sale in a long time. The company may have been shut down, I don't know.

I'd just try pitho crabs, and if your tank is big enough, a foxface.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do two large water changes with a hose to suck up most of the algae. In nature Turbo Snails gobble that algae up. I would get about ten large. Then slowly reduce the snails back to the shop. Once all is under control four big snails should do.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't tried pitho so i'll give that a look into. this current outbreak is maybe from bringing up phos and nitrate
Really nano tanks just need manual removal and weekly water changes but a pitho crabs will help too.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nano tanks just need manual removal and weekly water changes but a pitho crabs will help too.
i have/had an excessive amount that was way too much for intank manual removal. I wouldn't be able to reach it all unfortunately :( the best thing so far was reef flux x4 dose lol

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have/had an excessive amount that was way too much for intank manual removal. I wouldn't be able to reach it all unfortunately :( the best thing so far was reef flux x4 dose lol
Now I see your pics pretty good. I see dinos, cyano, bubble algae and green slime algae.

You may want to consult with brandon on here about a rip clean since its a small nano tank.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I see your pics pretty good. I see dinos, cyano, bubble algae and green slime algae.

You may want to consult with brandon on here about a rip clean since its a small nano tank.
where are the dinos? sorry im not the best with algae identification.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where are the dinos? sorry im not the best with algae identification.
Looks like on the sand is it slimy snot like with air bubbles? Does it disappear at night?

I like the way your midas blenny perches atop the rock.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like on the sand is it slimy snot like with air bubbles? Does it disappear at night?

I like the way your midas blenny perches atop the rock.
i dont think it disappears at night. I actually ended up siphoning out a majority of the algae in the pictures (or burying it lol). Right now mainly the bubble algae is visible.

And thanks! I had a fake barnacle in there for him but he has loved sitting at the top of the tank since day one lol!

seasand23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting harder to find vibrant. Not gonna play bash this or that like others because you can read up on your own. My personal experience is I've used it on/off for 4 years as bubble algae returns and it's quickly removed it. I had no I'll effects on any corals or livestock. I also dose every 14 days a slightly less that recommended. Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back