Clean the Aquarium Glass without Scratching

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so you don't ever want to scratch your glass right? You want to keep that brand new Tank entirely scratch free?
Follow these steps:
1: Never use a Magnetic Glass Cleaner. It's not a matter of "if" a particle gets onto the magnet, but when. You will scrub your glass and drive a deep scratch or multiple scratches from some kind of magnetized hard particle or any substrate eventually making it's way onto your Magnetic Glass Cleaner.
If you have a magnet cleaner I would recommend only ever using it on things like ATO Reservoirs, Mixing stations that sort of thing where you pose no threat to anything you will be subject to look at for the next 10 years.
2: Use Plastic Algae Scrapers. No metal blades, sometimes magnetic cleaners come with plastic scrapers that you can remove from the packaging and can attach to a wooden dowel rod. Doing this with plastic or wood won't scratch the glass.
3: Use Tissues. Cleaning the exterior of an aquarium with tissues is a sure way to never scratch the exterior ever again. Tissues are neatly packaged and super clean with each new Tissue pulled, widely available, a common household item, they are super soft as they're made to wipe noses. And you just throw them out without a care.

Just takes one mistake for permanent ramifications, one bad move with a metal scraper, one eternal scratch.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Tunze mag cleaner for a couple years. Have yet to pick up a stone...probably just jinxed myself. But the mag isn't too strong and the plastics blades don't pick up much.

I never use paper products on my glass. That's from wearing glasses for 50 years...all paper scratches glass. I use microfiber rags and Tunze cleaner to clean and to polish...my secret weapon....a chamois. Never use it wet, just a dry buff after the clean or in between touch up and no streaks at all. Cleans my glasses really well too. Both the vision and bar type. ;)

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t recommend the flipper scratches glass from both sides with that pad

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have a large tank, magnet scrapper is pretty much the only practical and inexpensive option.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the plastic blades of the Tunze care magnet rest against the glass the middle magnet part doesn’t touch the glass at all.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag Float destroyed a tank a long time ago. I only use the Flipper Scraper that uses plastic credit or gift cards for the blade.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little life hack for acrylic or even glass aquariums, this isn't too practical as an every day use but if you want a nice deep clean of the glass without releasing the algae into the water try using a magic eraser thing sheet. Magic erasers are reef safe as long as it doesn't have additives, if you have a strong mag float magnet, stick the thing sheet of magic eraser between it and give it a nice scrub, the pad also catches the algae on it.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get a length of 1/2 inch PVC pipe and make a diagonal notch in one end then I get those trapezoid utility replacement blades and wedge it in there. Makes a good cheap scraper for glass.

LiveRockmia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little life hack for acrylic or even glass aquariums, this isn't too practical as an every day use but if you want a nice deep clean of the glass without releasing the algae into the water try using a magic eraser thing sheet. Magic erasers are reef safe as long as it doesn't have additives, if you have a strong mag float magnet, stick the thing sheet of magic eraser between it and give it a nice scrub, the pad also catches the algae on it.
How do you know magic erasers are reef safe? This blew my mind because I love the magic eraser, but would never thing to use it in the tank

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming back to this thread, the only thing I would change is the Wooden dowel rod to an Acrylic rod and scrap the idea of using wood. Just because over time I don't really know how wood will hold up and you're better off with just an Acrylic rod off eBay since it's cheap, inert and will last longer in my opinion. Just pencil shave down the acrylic rod to fit a plastic scraper that you already own. I know I mentioned plastic rod but I should be specific.
I would also add that plastic is way softer and you may need to sharpen it more often when taking on calcifying algae.
I probably sharpen what I have pictured twice a year.

A3634B11-9FEA-4BD7-B8DA-C93746130693.jpeg D43CFFE6-AD2B-48CD-98F1-A5217774ED3C.jpeg 4D5DAA7E-FEAB-491C-AA76-4B2A0DF3BD1D.jpeg

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardscapes are a big deal too. I would take the utmost care and surgical precision when adding or shifting any kind of hardscape in/to the aquarium.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back