Clean Up Crew 320 Gallons SPS

  • Thread starter Thread starter CoralFragZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CoralFragZ

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2012
Messages
806
Reaction score
312
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at that point in the cycle and want to get the best crew for my new 320.

I was thinking about addding 100 Dwarf blue legs and 100 Cerith Snails so frags dont get knocked over.

Thanks
 
Bump for more opinions for you .....

Personally, I won't do hermit crabs in my tanks anymore ..... but always have plenty of cerith snails. Reef Cleaners has great bulk pricing on both for you!
 
My favorite is nasarrious snails. I don't like crabs.....any of them. I just have lots of snails in my tank with some peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, serpent star, and sand sifting star.
 
100 = overkill IMO. I have 20 fish in my 180, run an aquaeuro 400 skimmer, feed several times a day with a high quality food, and vodka + vinegar dose. My clean up crew consists of 1 blue leg hermit, roughly 15 astraea snails, 3 nerites, 1 turbo, 1 nassarius, one orange linkia star and 1 urchin......For fish that serve a purpose I have a yellow tang, and a goldenhead sleeper goby. Also, my wrasses help stir the sand, and are also the reason I don't have more nassarius, I really don't want a $1 snail spooking my potters leopard wrasse pair lol. Go with 100 and sure they will live for a while, but if you keep your parameters good your just going to lose a bunch and kill your #s and water quality anyways. Start small and work your way up is the way to go IMO.

Also, I think it is important to have a mixture of the different types, understandable if you don't want a turbo or urchin but I would atleast do astraea's, nerites, with cerith's and nasarius optional since they both go in the sand and could spook snad dwelling fish (which with my pair I don't find it worth the risk), along with some hermits.

FWIW, I clean my front glass once a week- every other week, and have never cleaned the back or sides (inwall tank). Those 3 sides get some algae build up, but its not bad and doesn't last long before the crew gets to it. The tang loves it too since I've never fed nori and it is still happy, healthy and thick :)
 
Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Astreas, I would suggest you do a lot more snails than crabs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new