Clean up crew capability help

Pudgeshambley

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2022
Messages
184
Reaction score
90
Location
Graham
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 clownfish, yellow watchman goby, tailspot blenny, 3 scarlet legged hermit crabs, 5 trochus snails, 8 Nerite snail, 5 bumblebee snails, 3 nassarius snails and a fighting conch. Oh, and a ton of collonista snails that are breeding like crazy.

I would like to add 3 peppermint shrimp, a pom pom crab, and an emarald crab. Possibly a money crowie or two.

Tank is a 40 gallon AIO about a year and a half old. Mixed reef. My question is can these be added safely without any one eating each other? My hermits have always been model citizens.
 
NP. Note that emerald crabs are "tank snobs", in that they'll move on from algae to whatever tastier food source their is.
Have you ever had problems with them eating corals? I have read differing opinions on them.
 
Have you ever had problems with them eating corals? I have read differing opinions on them.
Never, and I've had a dozen of them over the last few years. What people often observe as "eating corals" is in fact the crab cleaning off algae, tiny morals of food or dead parts of the coral.

The last emerald crab I had was almost 3" in diameter and a pussycat.
 
Never, and I've had a dozen of them over the last few years. What people often observe as "eating corals" is in fact the crab cleaning off algae, tiny morals of food or dead parts of the coral.

The last emerald crab I had was almost 3" in diameter and a pussycat.
I also read they suggest more than one shrimp when attacking aiptasia but you suggested starting with one. Just wondering why? And of course I didn't mention aiptasia originally so my apologies for that.
 
Never, and I've had a dozen of them over the last few years. What people often observe as "eating corals" is in fact the crab cleaning off algae, tiny morals of food or dead parts of the coral.

The last emerald crab I had was almost 3" in diameter and a pussycat.
Is one emerald crab enough?
 
I also read they suggest more than one shrimp when attacking aiptasia but you suggested starting with one. Just wondering why? And of course I didn't mention aiptasia originally so my apologies for that.
If you're getting them for pest control I might be inclines to get the shrimp first and the other stuff later.
 
If you're getting them for pest control I might be inclines to get the shrimp first and the other stuff later.
They won't even ship unless it's over 50. Took me forever to find hermit crab shells because no one would just ship them but that's a whole nother story.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new