Clean water happy corals

  • Thread starter Thread starter spspirate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
9,553
Reaction score
2,227
Location
Richmond, Va
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we all have tank maintenance to do but there is a particular thing I do that I just wanted to share and that is vacuuming out the detritus in the sump. For those who are new to the hobby detritus is basically undissolved waste that stores extra unwanted nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphates and even ammonia. We strive to keep good flow in the main display to keep detritus lose in the water column for filter feeders and our mechanical filtration to take out. Then we have our sand sifters, crabs, bristle worms stars etc to help out too. I find the bulk of all this detritus in my sump.I have noticed that if you keep a power head circulating water in the sump it will do a couple of things. One it will keep it suspended in the water column to be filtered out by the skimmer/inverts and the heavier particles will build up in pockets for easy vacuuming. So about once every month I try to vacuum up this detritus to keep the health of my water at tip top shape. Here is a pic of what I pulled out last month!

IMG_4571_zps4bb158ad.jpg
 
This does make a huge difference in water quality. I also vacuum the bottom of the overflows.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new