Cleaned Your Overflow Lately???

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I put my current DT together 18 months ago, I purchased overflow lids from Melev's Reef, which have done a great job of keeping critters, etc, from entering my overflows. I just checked my overflows last week and they're both still clean. I recommend overflow lids!

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I put my current DT together 18 months ago, I purchased overflow lids from Melev's Reef, which have done a great job of keeping critters, etc, from entering my overflows. I just checked my overflows last week and they're both still clean. I recommend overflow lids!
Question: How can a lid keep a critter, internal to the tank out?

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: How can a lid keep a critter, internal to the tank out?
With a lid on the top, a critter won't be able to climb over (snail, etc) or jump over (fish) into the overflow. The only way in is thru the very thin slats on the weir, which keeps all but the tiniest of critters out.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope - mine is a mini refugium. Not to mention it has a pair of mating Gorilla crabs. You can see the females claw below. Male is smaller and on the other side.

1670008933812.png

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dread the day I have to clean my overflow, it's so small and hard to reach in there. Any tips?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately lids don't do as much as you think lol. I have a lid on mine...never exposed to light.....has TONS of stuff growing in there.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me having an AIO has been avoiding/dreading cleaning the back chambers. So I they haven’t been cleaned. I know they need to. And then it will be done like once a year lol. Though I’m pretty sure/hopping it’s just lots of detritus, pods, and pineapple sponges lol.

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a lid on the top, a critter won't be able to climb over (snail, etc) or jump over (fish) into the overflow. The only way in is thru the very thin slats on the weir, which keeps all but the tiniest of critters out.
These aren't exactly snails that climb over things. Vermetids float in water column until they attach to something like, rock, coral or in my case overflow. These start as microscopic organisms and grow/feed on particles in the water.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, have you cleaned your overflow lately? I'm usually pretty good on testing & maintenance but this little chore got by me. I noticed flow in my sump slowed a little and look at the nightmare I pulled out of my overflow box. You might want to give yours a quick inspection.

IMG_8590.jpg
IMG_8589.jpg
IMG_8588.jpg
Haha, mine looks the exact same. However, I cannot bring myself to clean it. Its in the drain section of the sump, would require a lot of work!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back