Cleaner crew

NeilSharpton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fish people I need some help!! I have a 125 gallon FOWLR tank and the algae is getting out of control. I have green hair algae and diatoms everywhere!! Currently I have a Niger Trigger and a Panther Grouper in the tank. I am also going to be adding some tangs, angels and a lionfish at some point. I know I need to go up to a bigger tank eventually ( I have plans to get a 325 within a year) so I know I can keep the grouper. What I need help with is what clean up crew can I use? I know snails are out of the question as are shrimp, but is there any other crew I can use? I also plan on getting a few sand sifting gobies to help with the substrate. Any help would be appreciated.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using photosynthetic lighting?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can totally keep snails. Keep your water temp lower than 78 and the no3 at a reasonable level and you can have Turbos, astreas, ceriths and many more kinds. Even with fish much more aggressive than a niger trigger, they could not get to the turbo snails. Most snails will slow down when the temperature gets too high, so keep the tank more cool - 75-76 is a nice place.

Urchins work too unless you have just some nasty fish like a Queen Trigger or parrotfish.

I have kept niger triggers in a reef with minimal damage (not none, but also not much).

Magicsoftimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hallowen hermit crabs, snails, and cleaner shimps. They have been doing a great job on removing algea in my nano tank but with your tank size you might want to have an army of those. :grimacing-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back