Cleaner shrimp attacking corals?

4n6doc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’ve got a 20 gallon nano tank with zoa, hammers, and candy cane coral. Just a couple fish and a cleaner shrimp in there too. I’ve had the shrimp for almost 2 years now and it hasn’t picked at any of my corals. I brought home a torch today (got dipped before going in the tank) and at first it was fine and the torch was pretty happy, but I went to check on the tank tonight - the torch was fully retracted and the cleaner shrimp was picking at it. I could see chunks of the torch it was pulling out and releasing, so it’s not eating it…just attacking it? I dipped and rinsed the torch really well, so I don’t think it’s that. I didn’t feed the coral today, so I don’t think it’s food either.
The tank gets fed once a day, usually a heavier feeding and I make sure everyone in there gets some. They generally get some frozen brine and mysis, occasionally a little nori.
I know cleaner shrimp love to steal food, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. It’s never picked at any other coral I’ve put in there. Pretty stumped about this behavior - I’ve kept many of these shrimp and never have I seen one do this. For now I’ve got the torch protected under a big mushroom cage. Has anyone else experienced this or have any pointers?

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean a skunk cleaner?

Most likely, the torch was already dying and shrimp was just taking some dead/weakened flesh off for consumption.

Skunk cleaners are the most reef safe shrimp and will not go for healthy coral

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that was doing it and i take it as a sign that the coral is not doing well....shrimp like to scavenge and when it is picking on a coral could be a sign that maybe the flesh of the coral is deteriorating....what did you use for a dip....

OP
OP

4n6doc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean a skunk cleaner?

Most likely, the torch was already dying and shrimp was just taking some dead/weakened flesh off for consumption.

Skunk cleaners are the most reef safe shrimp and will not go for healthy coral
Yep, I meant skunk cleaner. Weird. Looks like a healthy coral, can’t seem to find anything wrong with it. I’ll keep monitoring.

OP
OP

4n6doc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that was doing it and i take it as a sign that the coral is not doing well....shrimp like to scavenge and when it is picking on a coral could be a sign that maybe the flesh of the coral is deteriorating....what did you use for a dip....
I used CoralRx diluted in saltwater…that’s usually my go to. Have never had an issue with corals dying because of it. The torch really did seem fine and healthy once in the tank….until the shrimp started going at it. I’ll keep an eye and see if things change.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried skunk cleaners but stopped due to coral damage (and attempted anemone damage - stopped by mamma clown.) They would frequently probe DEEP into lps and sun corals looking for food. I won't keep them again.

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Skunk Cleaners and they constantly try to pick food off my corals. I call them Thing 1 and Thing 2. I use a wooden skewer to try to scare them off but they move right back in once I'm gone. They are both well fed along with my Coral Banded but they are always in search of food. I understand they are trying to survive and this is what they are supposed to do, but both are extremely active and crawl all over my Duncan's, Zoa's and everything else which keep them closed up for the most part. I do believe they will be banned to my FOWLER tank. I'm just wondering if the job they do as cleaners in my tank outweighs them being a nuisance. Maybe I'll move 1 to the big tank and see how 2 does by itself.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back