Cleaner shrimp babies- just sharing

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that one of our Cleaner shrimp have a greenish coloration on her belly and for the past weeks about three times laid babies I saw tiny shrimps (NOT pods) floating in the tank after lights out. I wish I can catch this Cleaner to save some but I did not, although the greenish coloration are still visible, maybe I can still some babies? My Fishes and Corals for sure are having a buffet! I could not snap a pics since they are very small.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very difficult to raise them -- not sure of any hobbyist that is actually doing it.

From my years ago,

Full of eggs, notice the green --- not ready to be released.

Shrimp2.jpg

Close up

Shrimp3.jpg

Close to being releases -- can notice the color change in the eggs,

Shrimp6.jpg

Released,

Shrimp8.jpg

Shrimp9.jpg

Close ups

Shrimp5.jpg

Shrimp7.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. Trex thanks for sharing your pics. :)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you raise them?

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be neat to see them grow but think every filtration system is the end of most spawnings, my shrimp and ruby dragons often spawn but the filter socks and pumps seem like 100% birth control. I've heard some people are raising clams and even crossing the varieties and making hybrids for colors but releasing the eggs and sperm into the water and having them settle into some type of sand-bed or collection system doesn't seem practical for most hobbyists, they have some type of lagoon setup for things to settle into a sand-bed and find adequate micro foods, I don't think it is feasible for most of us. It would be nice to see it done commercially and make collection from the ocean less of an issue as it seems like a hot-topic already that threatens the industry.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool pics! Thanks! by the size of the babies, yes I think it is very difficult, few elements to watch out for- like mentioned here, the filtration, plumbing and if fishes on the tank it will become a meal. It was exciting seeing our Cleaner shrimp released/releasing babies.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very difficult to raise them -- not sure of any hobbyist that is actually doing it.

From my years ago,

Full of eggs, notice the green --- not ready to be released.

Shrimp2.jpg

Close up

Shrimp3.jpg

Close to being releases -- can notice the color change in the eggs,

Shrimp6.jpg

Released,

Shrimp8.jpg

Shrimp9.jpg

Close ups

Shrimp5.jpg

Shrimp7.jpg
Very nice capturing these. Thanks for sharing!

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool pics, I noted mine is full of eggs as well but doubt the clown and wrasse in the fuge will leave anything behind and they would meet the pumps sooner or later anyway, guess you may be able to capture them and put them in a brine shrimp hatcher to keep them alive bu feeding them may be tough. Awesome pics though, guess I know where mine are headed since there is a clown and scott's wrasse in the fuge that could not get along in the main tank and are in protective custody now

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool! Has anyone else ever experienced this?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trex I remember hearing that it is difficult the rear them, but what is the reason? I'm assuming it is because the larvae stays in a pelagic form for an extended period of time?

Would Martin A. Moe Jr.'s urchin rearing setup apply at all? (He talks about it somewhere in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CqgIIQn0Mo)

Last edited:

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been done but only by a few, determined and patient people. The larvae do have a long pelagic stage. A very VERY long one, as in about 120 days. That means they have to be kept in a kreisel setup for 120 days and constantly fed enriched foods such as copepods or brine shrimp nauplii (a mix is best). Then you also have to keep the kreisel clean, which is sometimes difficult especially with a DIY setup depending on the style.

I plan to work with these guys and have gotten blue coral banded shrimp larvae to 57 days in a DIY kreisel but it's not easy at all.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been done but only by a few, determined and patient people. The larvae do have a long pelagic stage. A very VERY long one, as in about 120 days. That means they have to be kept in a kreisel setup for 120 days and constantly fed enriched foods such as copepods or brine shrimp nauplii (a mix is best). Then you also have to keep the kreisel clean, which is sometimes difficult especially with a DIY setup depending on the style.

I plan to work with these guys and have gotten blue coral banded shrimp larvae to 57 days in a DIY kreisel but it's not easy at all.

very cool information, neat to hear the true details of someone trying it, I just figured the attempt was tough in a normal setup with trying to isolate them and feed them but the long larval stage makes it far more difficult.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info. My plan is to catch the Adult cleaner and isolate them in a separate tank but with your findings, has to be a Kreisel set-up or maybe something similar shape tank.

Last edited:

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the rules of posting links to other forums, so apologies in advance and feel free to take edit.

Mofib (Marine ornamental fish and invertabrates breeding)
Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders Associate

Has alot of great information. Was on there cruising around recently and it doesn't look like there is much recent activity, but still great information.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the discussion and great pictures! thanks for sharing! would love to see pictures of tarheel's babies in the sump!

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them grow and release the eggs, but never hatch. Very awesome pictures!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back