Cleaner shrimp dead this morning...

Reef Jay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi how's everyone doing. I woke up this morning and noticed my cleaner shrimp was dead... he seemed to be doing fine for the first week I had him. The tank inhabitants are 2 clownfish. Royal gamma and a firefish so I don't think it's a murder case lol I ran tests on my water right after and my ph is 8.1-8.3 ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrate is between 5 and 10 ppm. Let me know what you think the cause is thank you.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s probably not dead. Take out the body and verify if there is actually any meat in it. You’ll smell it if that’s the case. Otherwise it simply molted. Shed its shell and most certainly looks like a dead shrimp but is a normal growth process.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 I'd verify it isn't a molt

OP
OP
Reef Jay

Reef Jay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s probably not dead. Take out the body and verify if there is actually any meat in it. You’ll smell it if that’s the case. Otherwise it simply molted. Shed its shell and most certainly looks like a dead shrimp but is a normal growth process.
I took him out of the tank and tapped him a couple times lightly and he didn't make a movement what so ever and he also smelt a little dead

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have ever eaten a real shrimp before, the anatomy is the same. Look if the tail has meat in it. If it’s hollow it’s a molt. Tapping will not do anything.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back