Cleaner Shrimp Randomly Died

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5-gallon reef tank. I've had my cleaner shrimp for around a week and a half and it was doing fantastic since I got it. Even yesterday it was all over the place eating constantly. I randomly found him dead at the back of my tank today. Does anyone know the cause?

Salinity: 30.4 ppt
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 7 ppm
Alkalinity:11.6 dKH

Should I remove the body?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure not just a molt? I have been fooled once or twice? If sure, how did you acclimate alk is high and if came from a tank with low alk might be too much of a change and salinity is a little low

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure not just a molt? I have been fooled once or twice? If sure, how did you acclimate alk is high and if came from a tank with low alk might be too much of a change and salinity is a little low
Yea not a molt. He just molted. Could be it. I aclimated with 1 cup of water every five minutes. How could I lower my alkalinity?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aclimated with 1 cup of water every five minutes. How could I lower my alkalinity?
That’s a lot of water in a short amount of time. Depending on the amount of water the animal is in, you could add maybe 15%-20% of the total volume every 15 minutes.

Some people even drip acclimate.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of water in a short amount of time. Depending on the amount of water the animal is in, you could add maybe 15%-20% of the total volume every 15 minutes.

Some people even drip acclimate.
Okay! Do you think that would affect the shrimp even almost two weeks after I acclimated him?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mix it or is it in a sealed jug/box? If whatever you're testing your salinity with is to be believed that's too low. How are you measuring salinity?

MamaMolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you topping of with ro water? I agree that salinity should be at 35ppt. Alkalinity is high. I would buy Red Sea blue bucket or other salt and mix salt with RO water to 35ppt. Doing small water changes with salt mix that has 35ppt salinity and lower Alk will lower your Alk. Have you tested your phosphates?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are his tank mates? How big is the shrimp? Perhaps he was bullied to death?

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you topping of with ro water? I agree that salinity should be at 35ppt. Alkalinity is high. I would buy Red Sea blue bucket or other salt and mix salt with RO water to 35ppt. Doing small water changes with salt mix that has 35ppt salinity and lower Alk will lower your Alk. Have you tested your phosphates?
Yea thats what Im planning on doing. Whats the alk of the red sea coral pro salt? That's the kind I was planning on getting. Im also planning on gettin an ATO so the salinity can stay consistent. I dont having a working phosphate tester at the moment. Mine broke.

MamaMolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 35ppt it mixes about 8 Alk. Make sure you get a RO system to hook up under the sink. You won’t regret it. It’s a hassle getting water from lfs. You need 0 tds RO for mixing and topping off.

subman719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and make my own RO/DI water. I warm up the RO/DI water to 78 degrees Fahrenheit, then mix in salt to 35ppt. At that ratio, with regular water changes, you shouldn’t have any problems with chemistry. If your current salt content is much lower, don’t mix to 35ppt on the first batch. I would gradually increase salt content in your fresh mixed batches over the course of several days, until you reach 35ppt.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 35ppt it mixes about 8 Alk. Make sure you get a RO system to hook up under the sink. You won’t regret it. It’s a hassle getting water from lfs. You need 0 tds RO for mixing and topping off.
I agree, when I’m at my LFS and see dudes walk in with big water jugs i think to myself, I’d get outta the hobby if I had to do that.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clownfish, hermits, and an asortmant of snails. He was medium sized
Depending on the what kind of clown it is, it could have killed it if it got in its territory. And I also agree with @moz7, your salinity is just under the recommended salinity for the shrimp.

subman719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
66C6283F-E18B-4EB0-BFC8-9729F62B14C7.jpeg

This is my RO/DI system in my basement, just below my aquarium. This is a bit extreme but it feeds my auto top off as well as for salt mixing and test equipment rinse water in my utility sink in my garage.
A simple 75gpd RO/DI system is all you’d really need.

Last edited:

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and make my own RO/DI water. I warm up the RO/DI water to 78 degrees Fahrenheit, then mix in salt to 35ppt. At that ratio, with regular water changes, you shouldn’t have any problems with chemistry. If your current salt content is much lower, don’t mix to 35ppt on the first batch. I would gradually increase salt content in your fresh mixed batches over the course of several days, until you reach 35ppt.
For what it's worth, the instructions say to mix salt at or below room temperature, and THEN bring up to desired temperature.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 133 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back